Sitar

Lorde

The vocal on mood ring and SATNS have been so weird 

idk if it’s the mixing, or just the performance itself but it sounds so dry and flat? She sounds out of breath on half of mood ring to me :rip: 

god I’m so disappointed in this album especially when I really never liked her before and only just within the last year did I start to fully get into melodrama.  

I still like the title track I guess. It’s a bit basic but it’s enjoyable enough. 

I hope there’s better deep album cuts, I have high hopes for fallen fruit and the path but it seems like all the insiders have trashed the album tracks the hardest so I’m nervous as hell tbh

I don't even dislike them or anything I think maybe part of it was just waiting so long for something so you come up with all of these expectations in your mind and then when it's something different, it's a little jarring

Tbh I felt the same way about NFR

But I haven't even heard the album yet.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

it would be sad if she peaked musically before she was even an adult but i don't think she really cares, it's not like she's never gonna make good music again but i fear she set the bar too high.. she had us by our throats with her first two albums. she was the voice of her generation, now she's grown out of her adolescence while the rest of us are still in our melodrama era.

i love you, but you don't understand me.

43 minutes ago, wismarvin said:

She herself stated that it is a satire and I totally get that. While she also acknowledges that she partakes in it to some extent and understands why it occurs. She doesn´t shame it completely. She´s just exposing the problems and different coping mechanisms of this generation in this clima.

Why is this giving me war flashbacks to Katy releasing Chained to the Rythm and Twitter coming for her :toofunny:

Also I feel like the less I care about the promo and her old sound, the more I like those songs. Like its good songs, they're just not up to per with what she used to release, but they're still good. And as for promo/whatever she does to screw her own career, who cares: it doesn't actually changes the sound of album in the end

FUGjsXqWAAAhpYH?format=jpg&name=900x900

1 hour ago, ChaoticLipster said:

We all know that if Lana did this album you’d eat it up without a second thought. It would be all ‘omg we love Lana when she does beach vibes Magnus opus bitch’.  

Lana and Lorde make similar music but they really can't be compared. Lana's melodies are the strongest point of her music, whereas Lorde doesn't really focus on that aspect at all imo

edit: imo, people aren't listening to this album for the same reasons they'd listen to a Lana album. So you can say people are lying I guess but I really don't think they are. This is a step away from what Lorde is known for, PH & Melodrama were SO relatable for people of that age and the production accompanied those albums perfectly. Lana's album simply just wouldn't sound anything like this.

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

14 minutes ago, VioletBunny said:

Lana and Lorde make similar music but they really can't be compared. Lana's melodies are the strongest point of her music, whereas Lorde doesn't really focus on that aspect at all imo

edit: imo, people aren't listening to this album for the same reasons they'd listen to a Lana album. So you can say people are lying I guess but I really don't think they are. This is a step away from what Lorde is known for, PH & Melodrama were SO relatable for people of that age and the production accompanied those albums perfectly. Lana's album simply just wouldn't sound anything like this.

Personally I think the sound is refreshing, another PH or Melodrama would have been boring. I just feel like people are not feeling the songs for some reason,  maybe they’ve hyped her return too much and it feels underwhelming.  I just can’t see Lana getting as much criticism though if she did a similar style of album, she’d be praised.  I don’t think the songs are worse than anything on COCC tbh. I definitely feel a slight bitterness among Lana fans towards her. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

I think the bitterness goes both ways. It started with Lorde calling out Lana, saying she glorified abuse...and her stans jumped on the train as well.

You should have seen the live chat in YT premiere for MR.. almost every lorde stan was trashing Lana,melanie,cardi. for no reason.

On topic. All the singles sound sonically cohesive and from the same universe.

The Path rly picks up at the chorus. !!

MR>TP>SANS>SP>California for me right now .

Rly chill album to listen to..esp at the beach ..

ALSO SHE IS MAKING ME WANT TO TURN INTO A PAGAN DRUID SO BAD.

15 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:

I think the bitterness goes both ways. It started with Lorde calling out Lana, saying she glorified abuse...and her stans jumped on the train as well.

You should have seen the live chat in YT premiere for MR.. almost every lorde stan was trashing Lana,melanie,cardi. for no reason.

On topic. All the singles sound sonically cohesive and from the same universe.

The Path rly picks up at the chorus. !!

MR>TP>SANS>SP>California for me right now .

Rly chill album to listen to..esp at the beach ..

ALSO SHE IS MAKING ME WANT TO TURN INTO A PAGAN DRUID SO BAD.

That was like ages ago they should let it go. I’m sure no bad blood is between them now

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

Don't really care for Solar Polar or Stoned but Mood Ring is gorg- been listening all day. I can't stand the aesthetic of the music videos, like good for her but it's just so cheesy and weird and Midsommar-ish

Pretty excited to hear the rest of the album :)

3 hours ago, wismarvin said:

She herself stated that it is a satire and I totally get that. While she also acknowledges that she partakes in it to some extent and understands why it occurs. She doesn´t shame it completely. She´s just exposing the problems and different coping mechanisms of this generation in this clima.

she's in her satirical jokester half condemning half idolising brooklyn baby lana era i love it

mUENGN9.png

I didn’t realize the song was a satire of new age coping mechanisms, and I’m glad I now do, I’ll see how I feel about it in that context. I suppose if this entire era is satire it might be her Electra heart, because it isn’t really coming across that way from the music, and I fear it will end up very misunderstood. When she announced the album and referenced the persona behind it as a girl whose “feet are bare at all times. She’s sexy, playful, feral, and free. She’s a modern girl in a deadstock bikini… Her skin is glowing, her lovers are many. I’m completely obsessed with her, and soon you will be too” it really felt like a genuine statement and I remember my boyfriend being annoyed because he always viewed her as “not” that girl, and that was what he enjoyed about her. I love the concept of satirizing the self absorbed, rich jet setter, but I feel the execution needs something darker simmering beneath the breezy music and lyrics that are just a little more sharp to make it work. 

again i dont dislike any of the songs and I’m looking forward to hearing the record, these are just my thoughts 

followup: mood ring is much more enjoyable with the satirical angle, though I still think unless it’s explained you won’t get it, so I wish it was more apparent to me when just listening to the track. All of the tracks work better when you consider them as being from the perspective of a goop-esque ding dong of the modern age, so she has that going for her, and I’m glad I learned this before the album comes out. I think if she was doing more promo she’d be able to get that point across more broadly. 

i want to liveeee inside the weird balinese dystopian utopia in the mood ring video :crai: 

28 minutes ago, domandapiano said:

When she announced the album and referenced the persona behind it as a girl whose “feet are bare at all times. She’s sexy, playful, feral, and free. She’s a modern girl in a deadstock bikini… Her skin is glowing, her lovers are many. I’m completely obsessed with her, and soon you will be too” it really felt like a genuine statement and I remember my boyfriend being annoyed because he always viewed her as “not” that girl, and that was what he enjoyed about her. I love the concept of satirizing the self absorbed, rich jet setter

i don't really see the "character" as a self-absorbed jet-setter - i think lorde is actually trying to paint a much more complex, sympathetic character

and hate to break it to your boyfriend, but lorde has always been "that" girl... she's a rich skinny white girl from new zealand lol <3 being feral n free in a deadstock bikini is their national anthem

mUENGN9.png

41 minutes ago, domandapiano said:

I didn’t realize the song was a satire of new age coping mechanisms, and I’m glad I now do, I’ll see how I feel about it in that context. I suppose if this entire era is satire it might be her Electra heart, because it isn’t really coming across that way from the music, and I fear it will end up very misunderstood. When she announced the album and referenced the persona behind it as a girl whose “feet are bare at all times. She’s sexy, playful, feral, and free. She’s a modern girl in a deadstock bikini… Her skin is glowing, her lovers are many. I’m completely obsessed with her, and soon you will be too” it really felt like a genuine statement and I remember my boyfriend being annoyed because he always viewed her as “not” that girl, and that was what he enjoyed about her. I love the concept of satirizing the self absorbed, rich jet setter, but I feel the execution needs something darker simmering beneath the breezy music and lyrics that are just a little more sharp to make it work. 

again i dont dislike any of the songs and I’m looking forward to hearing the record, these are just my thoughts 

followup: mood ring is much more enjoyable with the satirical angle, though I still think unless it’s explained you won’t get it, so I wish it was more apparent to me when just listening to the track. All of the tracks work better when you consider them as being from the perspective of a goop-esque ding dong of the modern age, so she has that going for her, and I’m glad I learned this before the album comes out. I think if she was doing more promo she’d be able to get that point across more broadly. 

to echo what @Alison by Slowdive said above,  I think Lorde is very much critical of the mood ring persona while also authentically subscribing to so many of those ideas- as is clear from the whole premise of the album, which is about a genuine love of the pleasures of nature, freedom and other big ideas that have been subsumed into the “wellness” world. I also think this persona is specific to this song- today was the first time she openly discussed such an idea so I imagine the record will provide a balance of perspectives from a spectrum of personas (both Lorde’s and others).

aOaIzH2.gif

question about the path's lyrics:

Spoiler

does anyone else find the chorus of the path, and specifically the line "let's hope the sun will show us the path" a bit too on the nose? trying to enjoy this song but finding the chorus a bit annoying :facepalm: am i missing something? 

mUENGN9.png

3 hours ago, CinnamonGay said:

Really? I‘ve seen so many fans asking her if she liked Lana during the premiere... which is the wrong occasion for such a question. But I only watched it for 10 minutes because she started promoting a random perfume and explaining how she likes coffee :rip:

6 hours ago, sweetie said:

She's truly coming of age as an adult and this lamenting of growing older is also reflected in Stoned at the Nail Salon. Spending time with those who raised you because you know we're all just marching to the end.

I need to listen to the song again :omg: