Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Im actually in a good mood now because of the Lipster awards but i was angry earlier and i just wanted to come here and say that lana is a dumb cunt and i hope she loses the grammy for lying about the spoken word album release date that i was ever so excited about. Magdalene should win the grammy. Twigs' album was better anyway so this isn't spite, i think it deserves it more

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Im actually in a good mood now because of the Lipster awards but i was angry earlier and i just wanted to come here and say that lana is a dumb cunt and i hope she loses the grammy for lying about the spoken word album release date that i was ever so excited about. Magdalene should win the grammy. Twigs' album was better anyway so this isn't spite, i think it deserves it more

tenor.gif

3lfQEhw.png

I would like to know if you all analyse the production of every song you listen to the same way you seem to be doing for this (excellent sounding, almost unanimously critically praised, lauded as album of the year by multiple music publications, GRAMMY Album of the Year nominee ) album or if you just have preconceived notions about Jack Antonoff for whatever reason and come up with these empty arguments to back up the fact you don't like the songs? Like are you all music engineers and production aficionados? Or perhaps you'd prefer Lana record through a sheet of paper or on a two dollar mic so that you can complain about those factors ruining the songs again too? Or work with Keiron Menzies again so you can complain about his contributions to the production of Honeymoon and Lust For Life like you did when those albums were released? Or go back to working with Rick Nowels so you can complain about how she doesn't work with anybody new and always makes music that sounds the same again? Or complain about Emile Haynie "overproducing" Born To Die?

No we're just audiophiles that like quality recording and have listened to a shit ton of music (from Lana), but mainly from other artists. The production on NFR! is just that lackluster and not as pristine as some of you may think. It's not the fact that she's working outside her usual circle of musicians/producers, it's just that it happened that NFR! sounds the way it sounds and it's just off to some fans. There's a difference between recording vocals through a sheet of paper for one song, and actually properly recording/mastering vocals and instrumentals for an entire album. I just find that comparatively to albums like Born To Die, Ultraviolence and especially Honeymoon. There is a certain level of attention to detail that is nowhere to be found on NFR!

I think these arguments are pointless, because music appreciation is very subjective. So no one can claim that "x" album/song is objectively better than "x" album/song. You can only really say what you mean based on personal appreciation. I personally do not appreciate the overall production on the album. There are songs I love, others I don't care for. But overall even the songs I actually appreciate on this album I find that there are sonic elements that sound off, annoying or even bad. They have already lost their luster to me since the album's release.

I also remember fans on this very thread being like "oh just listen to the album on low, or on vinyl, or streaming, or in your car, etc". Like I shouldn't have to change my music setting to fully appreciate a record, I agree that in some circumstances it might enhance what is already present. But this is certainly not something I had to do with Lana's first three records, or with other albums by my favourite artists, to actually enjoy them to their full potential.

im guessing writing’s like 50/50, and then on top of that jack does the composition so i guess 25/75 makes sense, idk what im talking about tbh but it makes sense in my mind

I highly doubt Jack wrote 50% of the words. Knowing Lana, her previous co-workers, her process and the progress of her lyrics, she writes the words entirely, for the expection of a few tracks. Songwriting also includes composition, and we know Jack made a lot of composition on NFR!.

I looked at Younger Now which Miley wrote entirely alone and her and the producer split it 50/50, so I'm guessing it's because he wrote on and produced NFR, it's just kinda wack that he's making more off this record than Lana. I wasn't trying to imply she didn't write it, we all know she likes to write her own music and have control over what she puts out.

lana wrote all of the lyrics and melody of HIADT (confirmed at grammy museum) and jack still has more credit than her for just the piano... interesting

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

MAC is a wise, powerful masc bttm lEUyXY4.gif

MAC is a kind, gentle top

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Florence's book is everything. Gorgeous and worth every penny. Lana would never release anything as beautiful as that. She's too lazy for that.

useless%2Bmagic.jpg

As for the spoken word album, I don't have much hope for it. I doubt it will be anything as beautiful as Burnt Norton.

Had the same feelings when she first announced her poetry book! Florence set the bar high and it’s one of my favorite items I have from one of my favorite artists. So much thought was put into it- rare pictures, poems, lyrics, scraps from her journal, her cute paintings and little drawings. Lana could never.

Had the same feelings when she first announced her poetry book! Florence set the bar high and it’s one of my favorite items I have from one of my favorite artists. So much thought was put into it- rare pictures, poems, lyrics, scraps from her journal, her cute paintings and little drawings. Lana could never.

I know this is a Lanz thread but it's worth the warning point if Elle gives me one Florence + the Coffee Machine DESERVES recognition:

w3t4uQL.jpg

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

So, has anybody been able to identify what the differences are on the NFR (New Version)?

I saw somebody on Instagram saying they'd recieved their copy from Rough Trade and that the only difference is Hope Is A Dangerous Thing is the single version (minus Jack's outro)

Somebody also said that the sampling issue was in Fuck It I Love You single version but that wouldn't make sense cos all physical copies have the alternate mix?

Thinking about this record, I really believe that some of the tracks, while not being filler, kind of detract from the cohesion as a whole and make the project drag a little. The record starts SO strongly, and I feel like I become a bit disinterested when Cinnamon Girl ends. This would be my perfect tracklist.

1. Norman fucking Rockwell

2. Mariners Apartment Complex

3. Venice Bitch

4. Fuck it I love you

5. Doin' Time

6. Love Song

7. Cinnamon Girl

8. California

9. The Greatest

10. Happiness Is A Butterfly

11. (Piano Version) How To Disappear

12. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

The only track placement I would change is HTD. I really like Bartender, but it feels like it's one piano track too many, and it doesn't fit very well, thematically. Also, TNBAR has got to go. I actually don't mind Doin' Time at all and serves as an attention grabber towards the middle.

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

Thinking about this record, I really believe that some of the tracks, while not being filler, kind of detract from the cohesion as a whole and make the project drag a little. The record starts SO strongly, and I feel like I become a bit disinterested when Cinnamon Girl ends. This would be my perfect tracklist.

1. Norman fucking Rockwell

3. Venice Bitch

4. Fuck it I love you

5. Doin' Time

6. Love Song

7. Cinnamon Girl

8. California

9. The Greatest

10. Happiness Is A Butterfly

11. (Piano Version) How To Disappear

12. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

The only track placement I would change is HTD. I really like Bartender, but it feels like it's one piano track too many, and it doesn't fit very well, thematically. Also, TNBAR has got to go. I actually don't mind Doin' Time at all and serves as an attention grabber towards the middle.

That's actually really interesting. I feel like it would've benefit the record to tighten it up a little and cut down on some songs. In that sense I agree, with both Love Song and Bartender it was like one piano ballad too many. I personally would've chosen Bartender over Love Song. Also while I think that Hope is lyrically one of her strongest song, I feel like it should've been relegated to unreleased material in its current format. Or make it something like 3 minutes instead of its current almost 6 minute format. This has also been said several times but Venice Bitch not closing the record is shocking. It would've been the perfect album closer in my honest opinion (though LFL was far from being her most cohesive project, Get Free remains her best album closing track in my opinion). It would've make the album more enjoyable to me, strictly from a tracklist point of view.

My ultimate song placement would've been as follow:

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell

3. Fuck it I Luh ya

4. Doin' Time

5. Cinnamon

6. Bartender

7. How To Disappear (Piano version of course)

8. California

9. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it (shorter version)

10. The greatest

11. Happiness is a butterfly

12. Venice Bitch