Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

Spoiler

Wat. I cant fathom how people can HATE this record. I mean yes. For some it might be too slow. But hate??? Calling it boring??? 

But this is the kind of music I LOVEEEE. 

It sounds like Enya+Joan+Mazzy Star.

It's a sad album. ..sadder than Norman????

It's like a wife who had lost her husband and is now living on a small countryside reminiscing her old days..

Spoiler

The autotune (esp towards the end) in Tulsa Jesus Freak is legitimately genius

Edited by Elle
spoiler tag added x

My track by track album review

Spoiler

White Dress: 8.5/10 gorgeous song, very unique and raw vocals. Lana and Jack are perfectly synced here. Production is minimal but beautiful.Would make a few lyrical tweaks tho. 

COCC: 9/10. White Dress is raw, journalistic, stream of consciousness, while COCC is meticulous and composed. Album opens with a Ying Yang one two punch. Seriously catchy melody and poetic lyricism, the most “perfect” song on the album in the sense that there is nothing I would change about it.

Tulsa Jesus Freak 8.5/10. This album’s Cinnamon Girl, but sexier and trippier with a weird religious twist. Obsessed with the “white hot forever, amen” chorus. Obsessed with the weird squeeky vocal effects, her voice sounds like someone rubbing a glass window with Windex and I am so here for it.

LMLYLAW: 8.5/10 So warm and tender and beautiful. Always loved this song.

Wild at Heart: 5/10. This song recycles a lot of old ideas. I hear melodies from Love Song and Hope is a Dangerous thing and from the prechorus of Wonderwall by Oasis. The production is copy and paste from How to Disappear. I hated those jingle bells on HTD and the only positive thing I can say here is that at least they are quieter. I really wanted this to be her deep emotional country guitar masterpiece, but it is filler.

Dark But Just a Game: 8/10. This is lyrically well written, well structured song. Nice production with a trip-hop twist that gives the album another dimension without sounding out of place. This song is quite nice but didn’t blow me away, welcome album cut though.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost 8/10. This is a big dramatic Lana chorus. It is beautiful and her voice sounds gorgeous. The song is a little repetitive. It kind of reminds me of many of the LFL tracks like World at War, which have big climactic hooks but were still somewhat shallow songwriting. I don’t know if there is enough substance beyond the beautiful hook for this song to have have lasting appeal.

Yosemite 8/10. Extremely beautiful chorus, until it reaches the “we did it for the right reasons” line which I feel is an anticlimax lyrically and melodically. I love Rick’s production and the bongo drums. I feel like this song is a little half baked? I know she sat on this song for years and years, but I feel she could have rewritten it one more time into something melodically and lyrically perfect. This one is the flawed masterpiece of the album.

Breaking Up Slowly: 7:10

I would like this song, they harmonize well together but I hate that Nikki’s voice overpowers Lana’s. Since the album is only 11 songs long, Lana really should take center stage on every song.

Dance Till We Die: 8/10

The lyrics of this one grew on me the more that I listened to it. Sonically, the bridge is a standout moment of the entire album and I really wish she took that sound bridge and made it into an entire song . I think the rest of this song besides the bridge could do a little more.

For Free: 7.5/10

This one is fine but I don’t think she really makes this cover her own. I don’t think this really offers and improvement or unique take on what Joni already did besides adding some nice vocal harmonies. Not here for the guest features taking up most of the song at all, Lana should have sung every verse and leave the guests to do her harmonies.

Overall: 8/10

Not the masterpiece that NFR was, but still a very solid album with a handful of gorgeous songs and moments. Even at only 11 tracks long, there is more filler than NFR and the quality is not consistently good. This album does have a lot of heart to it however and has a very distinct sound. It is a welcome addition to the Lana discography, but I can’t help but feel a little disappointed that it doesn’t live up to NFR’s genius.

Better Than: LFL

Equal To: BTD, Paradise, Honeymoon, AKA

Worse Than: Ultraviolence, NFR

2 hours ago, ArtDecoDelRey said:
  Reveal hidden contents

photo montage effect ofprohibido-senal-trafico-para-pegar-fotos 3896

lana this era

Understandable.

Spoiler

Courtney almost burnt down her malibu beach house as we found out in Dance Till We DIe

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

Just now, Contemplating God said:

Hide contents

I WAS WAITING FOR YOUR REVIEW KING AKA MY WAH BESTIE 

:trisha: I agree with everything you've written.

Spoiler

Yessss omg WAH did NOT disappoint, I can't believe how perfect it is. I truly didn't know if we'd get Lynch vibes or cozy vibes, and it's really giving me both :defeated:

4 minutes ago, DCooper said:
  Reveal hidden contents

OMG I’m honestly floored, a complete masterpiece from top to bottom. 10’s across the board for me right now, every song and detail has a place and I truly pray for the sweet souls who don’t like the album. Somehow her most gentle and yet her most experimental as well, STUNNING. 

White Dress - WOW it’s overwhelmingly good. Her voice is so good, I can see why it could be off-putting at first but I think it’s so unique and adds so much to the sadness of the song’s reflective feeling. The lyrics are amazing.

Chemtrails - Still the masterpiece it’s always been and fits SO nicely after White Dress

Tulsa Jesus Freak - I wasn’t as hyped for this song as some of the others but it’s amaazing. A bop but sadder than I expected it to be, and the name change to Tulsa Jesus Freak from White Hot Forever makes it even sadder somehow, like the connection she had to the song changed from something more romantic to something more negative

Let Me Love you Like a Woman - so warm and beautiful, fits perfectly here.

Wild at Heart - Unbelievably perfect in every day. She managed to somehow make it feel both David Lynch and Live Laugh Love at the same time and I mean that in the best way possible. Sweet and loving, but like Lula is singing it.

Dark but Just a Game - OMG the bop of the year. Dark, meaningful, delicious. Absolutely addictive and a perfect rejection of fame. Sweet w-whatever baby.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost - This must be one of the warmest and loveliest songs I’ve ever heard, just sublime.

Yosemite - Not what I expected at all but I love it! The chorus is soo pretty and peaceful but the song as a whole is SO sad, and the warm chorus only reinforced that for me, as does the place in the trackless right before Breaking Up Slowly. I can’t believe she described this as too happy for Lust For Life. 

Breaking Up Slowly - Wow it’s everything I thought it would be from the live performance, amazing! Sorry but the way some of you talk about Nikki is so sad and disrespectful, even if you don’t like her. She fully serves on this track, she feels like one of those narrators who appear at key interludes in a film to make Lana’s state of mind clear to us, OR like Lana needs her there because of the sadness of the song, OR like Lana’s listening to her on the radio and relating to her. Love her contribution to the track.

Dance Til We Die - Sooo good, the perfect place for the record to be leading to. The sense of friendship and belonging that she’s been striving for forever, and she’s earned it. The bridge is the best and I wish it was longer.

For Free - Beautiful cover! Probably my least favourite song overall but it’s gorgeous and a fitting ending.

Truly can not even comprehend hearing this masterpiece and thinking she’s lost what made her special, or that Jack doesn’t have talent. I wouldn’t be surprised if she moves on from Jack for the next couple albums, but I definitely don’t hope this is the last thing they do together because with NFR, Violet, and now Chemtrails, they have such a gorgeous and special way of making music together. 

I’ll be listening to this masterpiece constantly for the rest of my life. :wowcry:

Spoiler

I just love your mind and always agree with you. A bit cause Agent Cooper is very persuasive. 

4 minutes ago, DCooper said:
  Hide contents

OMG I’m honestly floored, a complete masterpiece from top to bottom. 10’s across the board for me right now, every song and detail has a place and I truly pray for the sweet souls who don’t like the album. Somehow her most gentle and yet her most experimental as well, STUNNING. 

White Dress - WOW it’s overwhelmingly good. Her voice is so good, I can see why it could be off-putting at first but I think it’s so unique and adds so much to the sadness of the song’s reflective feeling. The lyrics are amazing.

Chemtrails - Still the masterpiece it’s always been and fits SO nicely after White Dress

Tulsa Jesus Freak - I wasn’t as hyped for this song as some of the others but it’s amaazing. A bop but sadder than I expected it to be, and the name change to Tulsa Jesus Freak from White Hot Forever makes it even sadder somehow, like the connection she had to the song changed from something more romantic to something more negative

Let Me Love you Like a Woman - so warm and beautiful, fits perfectly here.

Wild at Heart - Unbelievably perfect in every day. She managed to somehow make it feel both David Lynch and Live Laugh Love at the same time and I mean that in the best way possible. Sweet and loving, but like Lula is singing it.

Dark but Just a Game - OMG the bop of the year. Dark, meaningful, delicious. Absolutely addictive and a perfect rejection of fame. Sweet w-whatever baby.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost - This must be one of the warmest and loveliest songs I’ve ever heard, just sublime.

Yosemite - Not what I expected at all but I love it! The chorus is soo pretty and peaceful but the song as a whole is SO sad, and the warm chorus only reinforced that for me, as does the place in the trackless right before Breaking Up Slowly. I can’t believe she described this as too happy for Lust For Life. 

Breaking Up Slowly - Wow it’s everything I thought it would be from the live performance, amazing! Sorry but the way some of you talk about Nikki is so sad and disrespectful, even if you don’t like her. She fully serves on this track, she feels like one of those narrators who appear at key interludes in a film to make Lana’s state of mind clear to us, OR like Lana needs her there because of the sadness of the song, OR like Lana’s listening to her on the radio and relating to her. Love her contribution to the track.

Dance Til We Die - Sooo good, the perfect place for the record to be leading to. The sense of friendship and belonging that she’s been striving for forever, and she’s earned it. The bridge is the best and I wish it was longer.

For Free - Beautiful cover! Probably my least favourite song overall but it’s gorgeous and a fitting ending.

Truly can not even comprehend hearing this masterpiece and thinking she’s lost what made her special, or that Jack doesn’t have talent. I wouldn’t be surprised if she moves on from Jack for the next couple albums, but I definitely don’t hope this is the last thing they do together because with NFR, Violet, and now Chemtrails, they have such a gorgeous and special way of making music together. 

I’ll be listening to this masterpiece constantly for the rest of my life. :wowcry:

Spoiler

Such great thoughts and literally exactly how I feel about every song 

1 minute ago, LemonadeHeavens said:
  Hide contents

"downatthemeninmusicbuisnessconference" is honestly addicting, so sweet and catchy 

Glad someone finally said it; it's my favorite line of the song for some reason. She was really channeling Joni w/ that delivery :wub:

2 minutes ago, uvbabe said:

Hide contents

I just love your mind and always agree with you. A bit cause Agent Cooper is very persuasive. 

Haha! Loved reading your thoughts earlier too :wub:

2 minutes ago, littleredpartydress said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Such great thoughts and literally exactly how I feel about every song 

:kiss:

Favorite part of the whole album, even though it isn't my top favorite song:

We keep changing all the time

The best ones lost their minds

So i'm not gonna change

i'll stay the same

no rose left on the vines

don't even want what's mine

much less the fame

It really encapsulates her state of mind at this point in her life right now.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Spoiler

yosemite is so fucking good, it gets better with each listen

i remember watching, how green was my valley

but i was thinking how deep, was the canyon that you came from?

television static was quite overwhelming

was it because of the cabin? the candles in the wind?

simply poetry, yosemite is that song and we've known it all along <3

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

Just now, Contemplating God said:

Favorite part of the whole album, even though it isn't my top favorite song:

Hide contents

We keep changing all the time

The best ones lost their minds

So i'm not gonna change

i'll stay the same

no rose left on the vines

don't even want what's mine

much less the fame

It really encapsulates her state of mind at this point in her life right now.

I loooved that line too. It shows, actually, she hasn't been trying to hide it.