Elle

Triple single release: Blue Banisters, Text Book, & Wildflower Wildfire - OUT NOW

I love how polarizing these tracks have been. When all of us psychos mostly agree on something, it's usually not something too out of the ordinary for her.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I can’t hate the name drops too much, I mean how many times has Lizzy/Lana namedropped Jim, Joe, Mike, Bill, etc... it’s just different cuz now we actually know what possibly lame person she is actually talking about 

1 hour ago, Vertimus said:

The name drops are terrible. We've had enough with Sean, Joni, Joan, Stevie, Cortney, and now Jenny and Nicki Lane. It's a little embarrassing and each new one dilutes all the others. 

Oh dear God, has she name dropped Sean? Please say you mean she sings about Sean.

I’m still scared we’ll get a Sean name drop in a song called “Cop Blue” or something.

4 minutes ago, lili said:

Oh dear God, has she name dropped Sean? Please say you mean she sings about Sean.

I’m still scared we’ll get a Sean name drop in a song called “Cop Blue” or something.

sean ono lennon, john lennon's son

I get BTD vibes from TB, the drama almost western saloon atmosphere done well, w a slightly more upbeat n romantic chorus. 
WW gives me IMF vibes, w UV heaviness in the chorus, n old money's glamor in the verses. 
BB reminds me of a more refined VB, w MAC's patience, n NFR's airiness especially w "paaaaaaaaainnnt paaaaaaaaint" mixed w the heartbreak from Love song's is it safe to be who we are n Hope's legacy of well, faint but lingering hope. 

UV/Honeymoon

Just listened to Wildflower Wildfire on speakers

HOLY FUCK

:trisha::wowcry::monica::oprah::bebe::lange:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

26 minutes ago, Contemplating God said:

Just listened to Wildflower Wildfire on speakers

HOLY FUCK

:trisha::wowcry::monica::oprah::bebe::lange:

Yeah! Me too - Wildflower Wildfire and Text Book. I can't listen to this songs alone... My neighbors need to hear it too! :troll:

Day 3 and I am still listening to all three songs on constant replay, but Blue Banisters the most. It's kind of unhealthy how much I love this song. I'll try to distract myself for 30 minutes, then immediately play it again. It's so subtle, with such an incredible soundscape. It's the definition of a song that creeps up on you. And her vocals are some of the best of her career.

f9da8b3aee8139f5272b25f6c2fa7d6e.gif

12 minutes ago, mansfield ringer said:

I feel a weird disconnect from the singles this time around... theyre pretty but, they feel so alien to me.

They almost dont feel like songs, but more like confessions/revelations. 

I was about to say this.

I’ve been replaying them all day long and I love them but somehow I still feel like I can’t fully grasp them yet?

It’s weird because normally after 2-3 listens I know how I feel about her songs, but with these I’m not 100% invested while they’re playing but I can’t stop listening. 

9 hours ago, Vertimus said:

The name drops are terrible. We've had enough with Sean, Joni, Joan, Stevie, Cortney, and now Jenny and Nicki Lane. It's a little embarrassing and each new one dilutes all the others. 

Agreed, I hate them But I think it's intentional on her part because in previous eras we'd get the names of guys who she was in relationships with sprinkled throughout her songs - usually bad or screwed up relationships. Now though it feels like she's trying to shed that dramatic "fatalism" vibe that WE all love, because of the amount of backlash she got from critics. It's as if she's trying to project an image of her having more wholesome friendships and being more female-friendly; kinda like "See, I'm not just 'the other woman' or some homewrecking bitch, some of my best friends are women!" and whether or not it rings hollow with fans, or if it truly is a change in how she now lives her life, it feels like a curated move designed to change how she's viewed/judged by critics. Like she's trying to intentionally separate who she is - lyrically, sonically, reputationally - from her previous eras.

9 hours ago, Vertimus said:

You are absolutely right, for her it may have some feeling to mention them in her songs but, there are parts of the song that I am listening that could hurt me and suddenly she mentions a name and it is as if everything that I could feel related to that song is gone, Chemtrails is full of names and BB the too. 

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

7 minutes ago, Red Dress said:

Agreed, I hate them But I think it's intentional on her part because in previous eras we'd get the names of guys who she was in relationships with sprinkled throughout her songs - usually bad or screwed up relationships. Now though it feels like she's trying to shed that dramatic "fatalism" vibe that WE all love, because of the amount of backlash she got from critics. It's as if she's trying to project an image of her having more wholesome friendships and being more female-friendly; kinda like "See, I'm not just 'the other woman' or some homewrecking bitch, some of my best friends are women!" and whether or not it rings hollow with fans, or if it truly is a change in how she now lives her life, it feels like a curated move designed to change how she's viewed/judged by critics. Like she's trying to intentionally separate who she is - lyrically, sonically, reputationally - from her previous eras.

whats wrong with her wanting to portray any of those things for a change? The reason you don't think she is being genuine is you don't think her friendships are that important to her :| if you were singing about your friends wouldn't you want people to take you seriously? Shouldnt we take her at face value? This thought process is something Ive noticed in myself, not meaning to call u out x

1 hour ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I think he dumped her for some reason and she was really cut up about it

They only dated for 6 months so it's the only explanation as to why she's got so much baggage :agree:

Wait, she was in Tulsa at the end of July. Maybe she wanted him back and he said "Nah!" ?

8 minutes ago, Turtledove said:

whats wrong with her wanting to portray any of those things for a change? The reason you don't think she is being genuine is you don't think her friendships are that important to her :| if you were singing about your friends wouldn't you want people to take you seriously? Shouldnt we take her at face value? This thought process is something Ive noticed in myself, not meaning to call u out x

I think it's because it feels overdone, inorganic and doesn't feel like a natural inclusion. It's a big shift from mentioning guys who were douchebags or who things didn't work out with in a song about heartbreak, to having QFTC where she called out the way that other females in the music industry were treated/viewed, getting backlash, then it's all "here I am with all my ladyfriends, here's some videos of me and my LA gurls playing around for NFR vids...here's a photo of us on COCC...and let me tell you a million times about how I'm really happy to have so many female friends in my life!"

It feels weird and "curated" rather than a natural progression. Like either who she was previously was a bad person or not real...or this new incarnation is as fake as the past one and we should just accept that all of her art is as fake as it is drawn from real life. I probably haven't explained what I mean properly, because it's early Sunday AM and my caffeine hasn't kicked in yet so I'm having to keep going back to edit typos lol, but while I understand that musicians evolve in their style as much as their personal lives and of course maturity, being a bit older and having followed many, many artists throughout their careers, I've kind of gotten used to what I see are totally curated evolutions (like Madonna) and genuine artistic progressions (Blue October, MCR, Dylan, etc). This feels maybe not necessarily fake, but definitely forced.