Surf Noir

Unpopular Music Opinions

Leaking music right before the official release date is always really gross behavior to me and i dont know why it seems to not bother others :crai: kind of a random take but to me its way different than enjoying unreleased/leaked music... just wait for things to be released if they already have an official date! So disrespectful

uRo1dco.png

singing blue notes,

up all night long

Idk if this is unpopular or not but the emerging artist from 2009 up to 2015 or so are some of the most original and interesting to me (I’ve seen some general distaste for that era of pop music). Like, those years gave us some of the best artist we have now… 

around the 2010s it was all about EDM and labels tried to push that into them, but some of those female singers had so much potential and interesting takes on music. Now I don’t see any of that with the new pop “girlies”. For example: 

- Kesha (quirky country) 

- Neon Hitch (gypsy pop) 

- Carly Rae Jepsen (Corny 80s teenage love BOPs) 

- Natalia Kills (Tarantino movie soundtracks meets pop) 

- Porcelain Black (Marilyn Manson meets Britney Spears) 

- Sky Ferreira (grunge but make it pop) 

- Melania Martinez (creepy child-like music with hip hop) 

- Lola Blanc (witchy music) 

- Kerli (European rock with pop) 

- Zella Day (east west kind of music) 

- Bonnie McKee (80s pop at it’s most) 

- Allie X (Sinth based weird pop bangers) 

- Marina (British music with clever lyrics) 

- Charli XCX (queen of underground hyper pop) 

- Grimes (technology based interesting EDM) 

- Bebe Rexha (queen is ghost-songwritting) 

only a few of them have “made it” in the industry like Ariana Grande with R&B, Taylor with country and Lady Gaga with electro pop, but almost all of them have lost their “edge”. Nowadays pop music is not interesting anymore, it’s all fabricated and controlled by labels (Im aware this has always been the case, but now seems more evident). Sadly most of them had problems with their labels or multiple delays in their projects and parted ways to do their own thing. Now we don’t know anything about them. 

We also have some industry plants like Selena Gomez or Ava Max but it looks like artist nowadays are more interested in brand deals and make up lines… so sad. I Miss when it was all about music. They didn’t care about streams and used songs over 3 minutes with no samples! 

6 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Idk if this is unpopular or not but the emerging artist from 2009 up to 2015 or so are some of the most original and interesting to me (I’ve seen some general distaste for that era of pop music). Like, those years gave us some of the best artist we have now… 

around the 2010s it was all about EDM and labels tried to push that into them, but some of those female singers had so much potential and interesting takes on music. Now I don’t see any of that with the new pop “girlies”. For example: 

- Kesha (quirky country) 

- Neon Hitch (gypsy pop) 

- Natalia Kills (Tarantino movie soundtracks meets pop) 

- Porcelain Black (Marilyn Manson meets Britney Spears) 

- Sky Ferreira (grunge but make it pop) 

- Melania Martinez (creepy child-like music with hip hop) 

- Lola Blanc (witchy music) 

- Kerli (European rock with pop) 

- Zella Day (east west kind of music) 

- Bonnie McKee (80s pop at it’s most) 

- Allie X (Sinth based weird pop bangers) 

- Marina (British music with clever lyrics) 

- Charli XCX (queen of underground hyper pop) 

- Grimes (technology based interesting EDM) 

- Bebe Rexha (queen is ghost-songwritting) 

only a few of them have “made it” in the industry like Ariana Grande with the R&B, Taylor with the country and Lady Gaga with electro pop, but almost all of them have lost their “edge”. Nowadays pop music is not interesting anymore, it’s all fabricated and controlled by labels (Im aware this has always been the case, but now seems more evident). Sadly most of them had problems with their labels or multiple delays in their projects and parted ways to do their own thing 

We also have some industry plants like Selena Gomez or Ava Max but it looks like artist nowadays are more interested in brand deals and make up lines… so sad. I Miss when it was all about music. They didn’t care about streams and used songs over 3 minutes with no samples! 

:true:

2bfdb5f27c0411b17e7345642d0743ba99f47af0
 𝓟𝓾𝓽 𝓶𝓮 𝓸𝓷𝓽𝓸 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓫𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓴 𝓶𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓻𝓬𝔂𝓬𝓵𝓮

𝓕𝓲𝓯𝓽𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓫𝓪𝓫𝔂 𝓭𝓸𝓵𝓵 𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓼 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓶𝔂 '𝓘 𝓭𝓸' 

𝓘𝓽 𝓸𝓷𝓵𝔂 𝓽𝓪𝓴𝓮𝓼 𝓽𝔀𝓸 𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼 𝓽𝓸 𝓝𝓮𝓿𝓪𝓭𝓪

⋆.˚⭒⋆.˚─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───⋆.˚⭒⋆.˚ 

Rap is so boring it’s only good for its production. Also rap listeners themselves are boring mainly teenagers that think they’re the shit thinking they’re gonna grow up to 💨 on private yachts with gangsters and snoop dog but all they’re gonna be are tradies in a small share house because they ruined their lives by not focusing on school and wanting to be cool.

that sounds really targeted (it is) and got off topic

also off topic but on topic the type of music you enjoy when you’re a teenager can drastically change your life like I had a friend that was so smart and would listen to her little indie music u til she discovered y2k cult classic rap music now she got 0% in math and is failing all her classes. That’s why I love swifties, Gracie Abrams and those types of fans because they’re the people that are gonna be running the world besides the Chads that listen to the fonk beats that think they’re Andrew tate (what actually happened to him tho)

On 1/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, Nectar Of The Puss said:

Rap is so boring it’s only good for its production. Also rap listeners themselves are boring mainly teenagers that think they’re the shit thinking they’re gonna grow up to 💨 on private yachts with gangsters and snoop dog but all they’re gonna be are tradies in a small share house because they ruined their lives by not focusing on school and wanting to be cool.

that sounds really targeted (it is) and got off topic

also off topic but on topic the type of music you enjoy when you’re a teenager can drastically change your life like I had a friend that was so smart and would listen to her little indie music u til she discovered y2k cult classic rap music now she got 0% in math and is failing all her classes. That’s why I love swifties, Gracie Abrams and those types of fans because they’re the people that are gonna be running the world besides the Chads that listen to the fonk beats that think they’re Andrew tate (what actually happened to him tho)

I feel it's good because it's real and it's mostly just regular people with no help making it on their own, thats probably why it's influential as well as to make it you need to be a bit different and for your personality to be part of your music so theres a lot of variety.

People also listen to what is relatable to them I think.

There isn't many songs like this for example outside of rap that a lot of people relate with

4 minutes ago, ShadesOfFool said:

Idk if I’m becoming an old head but I find most new artists coming out to be so I underwhelming and wack lol 

yes it’s really that bad nowadays.. hence i’m only listening stuff that isn’t older 2017, anything newer (besides artists i stan) was so forgettable, uninspired and useless, well 99% of it

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

1 hour ago, ShadesOfFool said:

Idk if I’m becoming an old head but I find most new artists coming out to be so I underwhelming and wack lol 

agreed and i think it's because a lot of them are carbon copies of artists that already exist or just make music that caters to social media. it's like no one has to start out singing in dive bars anymore, just one hit from 10 seconds of your song on tik tok and you instantly have a million monthly listeners. you don't really have to work all that hard on your craft if you use the blatant pattern the industry is following :eek4:

violets in your eyes

18 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

I miss the days when songs were full length and not optimized for streaming replay.

piggybacking off this, artists being pushed to make songs optimised for tiktok is completely ruining their potential. I hate when im listening to a song and there is a part of it very clearly created for tiktok that does not fit the rest of the song and just throws the whole thing off. It is an absolute plague for up and coming artists. why is the full length of the song not this or vice versa??

giphy.gif

Teenwitch by bones is one of the best records ever. Super hypocritical for me to say bc i don’t like Nicole Dollanganger and she made a whole record about columbine but she did it in a very romanticizing way towards the shooters. Bones made a whole record from every perspective of that horrible tragedy. I think it’s an album everyone should listen to at least once. It’s definitely not something that will stay on your playlist but it’s something you’ll never, ever forget. 

13 hours ago, Stoned Mary in the Garden said:

Teenwitch by bones is one of the best records ever. Super hypocritical for me to say bc i don’t like Nicole Dollanganger and she made a whole record about columbine but she did it in a very romanticizing way towards the shooters. Bones made a whole record from every perspective of that horrible tragedy. I think it’s an album everyone should listen to at least once. It’s definitely not something that will stay on your playlist but it’s something you’ll never, ever forget. 

I like Teenwitch in a weird sort of way. Some of the songs sound beautiful and really paint a picture with sound, but at the same time it just often seemed straight up edgy and not respectful to the tragedy at all. I like the songs RunningForMyLife and BombsInTheLunchroom. Those song are and some of the others at the start of the album sound pretty and sometimes take a strong narrative tone. But more often than not throughout Teenwitch Bones just seemed to be doing his typical rapper lyrics. Like the line in Cafeteria where he said his neck was froze, or the pure edginess of Reb&Vodka. I overall like the album, but it can be hard to take seriously at times

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95237ep20gi51lvjl437x

On 3/12/2024 at 2:44 PM, X8vinylScratchX said:

I like Teenwitch in a weird sort of way. Some of the songs sound beautiful and really paint a picture with sound, but at the same time it just often seemed straight up edgy and not respectful to the tragedy at all. I like the songs RunningForMyLife and BombsInTheLunchroom. Those song are and some of the others at the start of the album sound pretty and sometimes take a strong narrative tone. But more often than not throughout Teenwitch Bones just seemed to be doing his typical rapper lyrics. Like the line in Cafeteria where he said his neck was froze, or the pure edginess of Reb&Vodka. I overall like the album, but it can be hard to take seriously at times

Everything you said I completely agree with. I think bones was trying to write from every perspective and the shooters WERE cringe. I just love that he didn’t romanticize the killers like so many people did. When he wrote from their perspective, he made sure it was hard to take seriously 

but the songs from the perspective of students and teachers and parents are so heavy