Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

2 minutes ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

insiders: there's variety on the album

lanaboards: OH MY GOD ONLY PIANO TRACKS AGAIN 

Nope, just that one singular user. 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Just now, Map of LA said:

Nope, just that one singular user. 

give this website a month and it won't be only one person :true:

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

On 12/8/2022 at 4:13 AM, Vertimus said:

So far, on the new song, I haven’t heard anything of a sustained melody, though maybe one will jump out at me over the next few days or weeks. As I see it, no amount of orchestration or instrumentation could have punched it up as a result. 

the song has no melody? i dont know how i feel about this :um2:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

On 12/7/2022 at 11:43 AM, littleredpartydress said:

Album credits:

LT0mRr7.png

Album songwriting credits are here. We still need the producer credits, but BOZ pretty much confirmed that the SYML track is piano only. Track 11 seems to have piano as well because RIOPY is a pianist. I’m pretty much expecting a more refined version of BB at this point.

9 minutes ago, LifeOnMars said:

Album songwriting credits are here. We still need the producer credits, but BOZ pretty much confirmed that the SYML track is piano only. Track 11 seems to have piano as well because RIOPY is a pianist. I’m pretty much expecting a more refined version of BB at this point.

He said it samples a piano melody by SYML, he didn't say it's piano only from what I remember.

1 hour ago, flamingpie said:

this is exactly the reason i'm a bit afraid of the grants song, esp it being the opener :xgiggle: these kinds of songs feel kinda... too personal to listen to them often? of course i have no idea how it might sound and talk about but if it's in the vein of sweet carolina...

on the other hand, SC works very well as a closer and i can easily see it being the perfect transition to the grants :assad:

Well, the astrological and psychological slant is that Lana's A Cancer, and Cancer is the sign of the home and of parenting. Plus she's in early middle age and grew up listening to another Cancer, Carly Simon, who made several great albums in the 70s which focused on her family, children, her own childhood, and her husband (James Taylor) as much as they did on her lovers and love life. Some of these were really beautiful and reached a sort of universal lyricism so that almost anyone, anywhere, could and can relate to them ('The Carter Family,' 'Grownup,' 'Forever My Love,' 'Boys in the Trees,' 'Sons of Summer,' 'His Friends Are More Than Fond of Robin,' and her acknowledgement of a romantic lesbian relationship, 'Libby.')  If you give these tracks a listen, you might see a little influence on Lana's more recent work. and most Simon songs are piano-based. 

As I've mentioned here before, I've observed that when writers start having children, or get married, they often lose a lot of angst, temporarily or permanently, and start writing sometimes sappy declarations of parenthood, happiness, and marital bliss. Tori Amos did this with 'Jackie's Strength,' about her wedding day, and the saccharine 'Ribbons Undone,' about her young daughter. Kate Bush impressed no one with 'Bertie,' about her young son. Male songwriters have done this too, if, in my experience, less often. The songrwriter want to write about and share what's taken over their lives, but they don't realize almost every parent loves their kid, is impressed by her or him, or thinks them special, and this is not necessarily what their fanbase is waiting for. Kenny Loggins of Loggins & Messina wrote 'Danny's Song' about his young son early in their career, and it became a huge radio classic in its day, and it's not sappy, but touching. 

Personally, I don't think 'Dance 'Til We Die' is predominantly about children or the desire for children; the overall point is, as I see it, just reject the bullshit that is no doubt going to keep coming and keep living to the fullest until your last breath, just as 'For Free' is not about performing, but about humility and being humbled. That's clear in the grimmer Mitchell original, which doesn't add the happy little fillips at the end of the lines the way Lana's half-baked version did. It's as if Lana could not bear to really sing the song as written and had to lighten it up so it could have something resembling a happy ending. Had she sung it as Mitchell did, it would have been the perfect compliment to 'Yosemite.' 

I, too, worry that we might be getting more 'Sweet Carolinas' with 'The Grants,' though I didn't mind 'SC' but don't want to see much more of. As you both said, it's a personal song, it's Lana's song to a beloved family member, and she could have saved it for some kind of giant career retrospective full of unreleased rarities, etc., which is no doubt bound to come, or sung it at a birthday party. I certainly didn't mind the family romance (Freud) outlined in 'WFWF.' 

But who knows? 'The Grants' might be some sort of satirical masterpiece, and musically, it could go anywhere. Since BOZ and others have us primed to expect some really unusual instrumentation, songwriting, and production on the new record, that's what I'm anticipating, with some hesitancy. 

I'm still waiting for Trip Hop Lana to show her face again. My favorite two songs of this year are the Trip Hop 'If I Were A Butterfly' and 'Thunder Sound' by Rayland Baxter. 

12 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

He said it samples a piano melody by SYML, he didn't say it's piano only from what I remember.

Oh he said she wrote on top of it. So maybe other instruments were added. Hopefully the instrument credits are released soon. 

8-DE0-B1-DA-B79-F-4-E9-D-84-EF-03-E8-C5-

I think the grants will be less about her siblings and current times and more so inspired by her father, his siblings, and her grandparents.

If you recall she posted a short story / poem back in February "How we built a home" it starts with "My dad and his brothers built my grandma and grandpa's house out of giant Lincoln logs. We lived at the bottom of Cobble hill with our very own trail up to the top of the smallest mountain in the Adirondacks. It was cold in the summer so the fire was always burning and every time I drive through Monte Nido it's full of wood-fire smoke and it reminds me of their house and the Giant owls that would hoo all night long."

I feel like these photos and stories influenced her and  I'm honestly getting 60s/70s ethereal night time camp fire Jame's Tayloresque vibes. I can imagine her singing about this in sort of a story teller type of way. 

FLMof1cXIAsN8CE_50.jpegFLMogQZXEAAWFdL_50.jpegFLMof1gXEAI2rz8_50.jpeg

faSE.gif

Complaining about Lana making music about her family history is ridiculous (TO ME! I AM NOT ATTACKING ANYONE. I can't believe I have to even preface with this with how toxic the boards have been over the past few days) because how many times can we really listen to songs about being in love with a bad boy or one of her exes. This is Lana branching out to new subject matters and being extremely vulnerable in her music. I personally love it.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

1 minute ago, honeymoon is alive said:

the grammys already praising the single, the aoty and soty will be for her i just know :true:

This randomly found article on grammy.com yesterday surprised me

https://www.grammy.com/news/everything-about-lana-del-rey-new-album-did-you-know-that-theres-a-tunnel-under-under-ocean-blvd