Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

I'm really trying my best not to listen to the leaksĀ but it will be so difficult to abstainĀ till the 24thĀ Ā :trisha:

Ā 

Ā 

š‘³š’Šš’‡š’† š’Šš’” š’ƒš’†š’‚š’–š’•š’Šš’‡š’–š’ š’ƒš’–š’• š’šš’š’– š’…š’š’'š’• š’‰š’‚š’—š’† š’‚ š’„š’š’–š’†

Spoiler

it's not fair.. or so they said,

to carry a child

i guess i'll be fine

Ā 

-Ā fingertips

Ā 

:crai:

Spoiler

i think this lyric is about people telling her she shouldn't have had children in the past bc of her lifestyle (touring, constant new relationships, perceived and perhaps acknowledged instability, etc).. it's honest and raw and i get why lana considers this song personalĀ to the point sheĀ even felt nervous to send it to her producer.. it really is her "innermost thoughts" like deeper thoughts most artists don't think or don't want to put in their music

Ā 

also a tiktok made by the girl who interviewed lanaĀ for her billboard photoshoot said that lana purposefully wanted to reply to..

Spoiler

what she felt were complaints and critiques of her (after she released chemtrails) not telling anybody private details about her life and her lack of authenticity.. which she really does reply to, subtly, throughout the music, just by being so revelatory

Ā 

more of my expanded thoughts on fingertips lyrics as well as their context within the album:

Ā 

Spoiler

it wasn't my idea

the cocktail of thingsĀ that twist neurons insideĀ 

but without them i'd dieĀ 

Ā 

Spoiler

so i think this lyric is fairly obviously about her medication, which is something she touched on in blue banisters (wfwf and living legend: the "heroin" reference: "heroin gold in my veins and you in my thoughts" is, in my opinion a metaphor for her medication, and the rest of the song could be describing different ways they can affect her?Ā "i get wild and fucking crazy".. etc

Ā 

Spoiler

but what's important about that is that lana said in the BB live that there was one thing "slipped into one of the songs on blue banisters that explainsĀ everything".. and i think it's referring to medication.. could be the lithium mentioned in wfwf or something else.. so i think this is the theme she was talking about promoting more openly in this record.. and using it to explain herself against the constant criticisms she feels she receives

Ā 

ok and then also theĀ 

Ā 

Spoiler

possible rape reference.. which is very interesting as it seems to be a theme on the album as she also talks about it in a&w, it's a hugely personal thing to reveal in such a massively public way (not in a memoir, or slow strung out interview, but just subtly alluded to within a song just to sort of "explain herself")..Ā or at leastĀ that's what i think she felt and means in the interviews when she says the songs explain themselves and are conversational, existential, etc

Ā 

let's get into the the actual lyrics of the reference now

Ā 

Spoiler

when i was 15, nakedĀ 

next door neighbors did a drive-by

pulled me up by my waistĀ 

long hair to the beachside

i wanted to go out like you

Ā 

Spoiler

so before this line she talks about her uncle dave who "hungĀ himselfĀ high" (presumably referring to suicide) and that's the context when she says "i wanted to go out like you".. i think she's saying at that time she wanted to die which is so sad but a very real reaction to assault..

Ā 

i interpret the lyric "drive-by" as just being lana using another crime as a word placeholder because she didn't want to be overtly direct in lyrics that are already so direct.. i think the lyricsĀ "pulled me up by my waist, long hair to the beachside" are fairly self explanatory but i think this might be a reference to leather patent doĀ over and, at the time, lana wanting to face the beachside and "drown", as sylvia's main character of her most popular book notably attempts to do.. i really don't't think this is a stretch either considering lana's poem.. it's clear these things were onĀ her mind.. i would also get into all the connections withĀ patty and the word "institutions" and that whole lens through which we can see the song, as well as all itsĀ connectionsĀ to what we have of lana's poetry from insights from an institution..

Ā 

anyways my fingers are getting tired but i'm gonna update this probably more than once and really get into my (probably half insane) thoughts Ā :party:

Ā 

Spoiler

ok wait but also lana leaving out patty in her lyric about where she wants to be buried:Ā 

Ā 

give me a mauseoleum in rhodeĀ island

with dad, grandma, grandpa, and dave

who hung himself real high

Ā 

this lyric had me jaw dropped bc lana literally just said she wants to be buried with her entire family except her mom Ā :O

Ā 

and then the lyrics that seem to portray lana in conversation with chuck, with maybe chuck trying to urge lana to reconsider her thoughts on their mom:

Ā 

caroline, what kind of mother was she to say i'd end up in institutions?Ā 

all i wanted to do was kiss aaron greene and sit by the lakeĀ Ā 

Ā 

which i see as lana calling the bitch out and speaking her truth (she just wanted to be a normal kid and feel free but patty may haveĀ overreacted, made her feel crazy and put her on medications, sent her away, maybe to institutions etc, and it's impacts on her life are explained in this song imo)Ā which i love, and i think she's learning to love that side of her too bc she was nervous and then suddenly felt unburdened, and even said on the billboard redĀ carpet that she feels so much better now that she's "called them out" and put it all out there, i think she feels a big weight off of her, especially from the critics etc even though i think a lot of lana's thoughts on that are a bit warpedĀ 

Ā 

i also have some thoughts about the closing lyrics

Ā 

Spoiler

i give myselfĀ two seconds to breatheĀ 

and go back to being a serene queen

i just needed two seconds to be meĀ 

Ā 

Spoiler

i feel like these lyrics could connect to the whole medication aspect of the song.. something about the word "serene" evokes imagery of like dreamy calmness versus being in a state of like true relaxation.. and yes this one may definitely be a stretch but the line after also correlates -Ā Ā the "i just needed two seconds to be me" line could be something about lana not knowing who she really is without medication? something like thatĀ 

Ā 

moving on...

Ā 

Spoiler

i also think the lyrics about lana's career are very significant..

Ā 

they say there's irony in the music

it's a tragedy

i see nothing greek in it

Ā 

andĀ 

Ā 

call me aphrodite

as they bow down to meĀ 

Ā 

Spoiler

so i think thatĀ first set of lyrics is pretty clearly about the criticisms lana's received of her music early in her career.. perhaps especially the criticisms about her authenticity.. it could also refer to more specific things like maybe certain lyrics she got a lot of flack for like he hit me and it felt like a kiss, etc.. then by lana saying there's nothing greek in it she's just saying that she disagrees, but she's relating it to famous "greek tragedies"

Ā 

and then the next lyric ties into this because aphrodite is theĀ greek goddess of love.. so perhaps lana is saying i used to get so much criticism and now suddenly everyone is telling me i'm this goddess of songwriting seemingly out of the blue everyone seems to be "bowing down" when they used to hate on her.. i also think this is a reference to the greek tragedy (a play) hippolytus in which aphrodite is an important character.. in the play aphrodite is ANGRY (at a man..) and throughout the entire play she exacts her revenge, which is notable bc lana has spoken about revenge etc (rock candy sweet..... tallking about being angry in interviews, etc)

Ā 

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANTĀ part of this play reference is exactly how aphrodite appearsĀ in the play.. aphrodite only actually appears on stage once at the very beginning to announce her intentions for revenge.. after that, aphrodite is only known through the drama and gossip on the lips of the other characters in the play.. i think this is why lana referenced aphrodite and greek tragedies, in order to make the connection between her career and aphrodite in the play (how she is only known through the false and warped perspectives of the media, as well as the fact that aphrodite has been wronged and wants to get "revenge", and lana does as well, perhaps by calling out her family as she does in this song and as she mentioned in the billboard interview on the red carpet

Ā 

Edited by fl0r1dakil0s
added more thoughts

Spoiler

So, I caved in and listened to the three leaked songs... Huge LDR fan, btw, since I first heard Blue Jeans in 2012!

Ā 

Preface: I loved Did You Know that... single and thought it was her strongest single since White Dress. I wasn't as smitten with A&WĀ  as much as everyone else was, but I did appreciate it's Radiohead-ness and the sheer crazinessĀ of the second half. It's a different sound for her.Ā Most of all, I'm just happy it's not a piano ballad (beingĀ her first track with a beat since, like, Doin' Time, if we don't count The Trio, which don't get me started...)

Ā 

Thoughts on the leaks: The Grant is a strong opening. It didn't amaze me as much as Ride, Born to Die, White Dress, Cruel World or Norman F. Rockwell, but on a first listen,Ā I prefer it to Love, Honeymoon, and definitely Textbook, which is her worst opening (and worst album) ever. I'm happy with The Grants and love thatĀ there's already three songs on this album better than anything on BB. The opening with the choir is very Grammy friendly. Like an intro to a really strong, mature record.

Ā 

BUT, I thought Sweet was boring AFĀ and Fingertips is outright unlistenable. A total skip for me already.Ā It sounds to me like rambling backed by an orchestra... These tracksĀ just confirmĀ that Zachary Davis is the worst producer Lana has ever worked with .Ā Bring back Dan, Rick, Hayne, or any of her old producers. Or just let Jack produce everything. I'm hoping his production skills will be on point on the 11 tracks he's (allegedly) credited on. Because if Zach D. has more say on this record, then Ima have it on the bottom of the list along with BB.

Ā 

Also, why would you put Sweet as song number 3 on the record when it's SO SO BORING? Ugh. She's like obsessed with Zach, and he literally produces her most boring and unmemorable songs ever...

Ā 

On 3/2/2023 at 12:04 AM, Elle said:

Ā 

Ā 

Now, I haven't listened to the recent leaksĀ because I want to wait until the release day to hear the album in full, but as admin I have to read spoilers to ensure everyone is still following the rules, so regarding this -Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Spoiler

Ā 

Ā 

so it didn't even fully leaked? what a messy era not even leaks get it rightĀ :xgiggle:Ā anyway i hope they drop some promotional singles this friday & march 10th to keep us entertained and also do some damage control (they won't)

5 minutes ago, barttttender said:
Ā  Reveal hidden contents

So, I caved in and listened to the three leaked songs... Huge LDR fan, btw, since I first heard Blue Jeans in 2012!

Ā 

Preface: I loved Did You Know that... single and thought it was her strongest single since White Dress. I wasn't as smitten with A&WĀ  as much as everyone else was, but I did appreciate it's Radiohead-ness and the sheer crazinessĀ of the second half. It's a different sound for her.Ā Most of all, I'm just happy it's not a piano ballad (beingĀ her first track with a beat since, like, Doin' Time, if we don't count The Trio, which don't get me started...)

Ā 

Thoughts on the leaks: The Grant is a strong opening. It didn't amaze me as much as Ride, Born to Die, White Dress, Cruel World or Norman F. Rockwell, but on a first listen,Ā I prefer it to Love, Honeymoon, and definitely Textbook, which is her worst opening (and worst album) ever. I'm happy with The Grants and love thatĀ there's already three songs on this album better than anything on BB. The opening with the choir is very Grammy friendly. Like an intro to a really strong, mature record.

Ā 

BUT, I thought Sweet was boring AFĀ and Fingertips is outright unlistenable. A total skip for me already.Ā It sounds to me like rambling backed by an orchestra... These tracksĀ just confirmĀ that Zachary Davis is the worst producer Lana has ever worked with .Ā Bring back Dan, Rick, Hayne, or any of her old producers. Or just let Jack produce everything. I'm hoping his production skills will be on point on the 11 tracks he's (allegedly) credited on. Because if Zach D. has more say on this record, then Ima have it on the bottom of the list along with BB.

Ā 

Also, why would you put Sweet as song number 3 on the record when it's SO SO BORING? Ugh. She's like obsessed with Zach, and he literally produces her most boring and unmemorable songs ever...

Ā 

nene-leakes-nene.gif

Just now, honeymoon is alive said:

i will not accept fingertips slanderĀ :oprah3:

Ā 

Just now, honeymoon is alive said:

i will not accept fingertips slanderĀ :oprah3:

Ā 

Spoiler

What do you like about it? It's clearly something she vomited into her iPhone while driving around in her car, without any real effort to create a compelling melody, a chorus etc (AKA a real song) and then sent to to Zach to try and make a song out of it. And Zach, being the yes men that he is, tried and failed like he does with everything.

Ā 

It just sounds like it belongs on Violet - except that the poetry itself is a lot less nuanced and (even) more rambling.

Ā 

8 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Iā€™mma smack a bitch out.
No Sweet slander!Ā :oprah3:

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

2 minutes ago, Yosemite said:
Ā  Hide contents

The melody when she sings do you want children? Do you wanna mary me? is sooooo goodĀ :oprah:

Ā 

Spoiler

i havenā€™t even listened to it and iā€™m already cryingĀ 

Ā 

scream-at-ride-by-lana-del-rey-g6hzk2dd4

Just now, wildflowerwildfire said:

i havenā€™t even listened to it and iā€™m already cryingĀ 

Ā 

Not putting this one in spoilers bc itā€™s not spoiling anything but Sweet is sooooooo sweetĀ :krylie:

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

Spoiler

Ā I love how revealing and heartbreaking the lyrics of Fingertips are. I wonder if Lana is in a better place mentally now if she feels like she can be putting such personal lyrics out to the public.... But with that said I can't imagine Fingertips is a song I'll be listening to much. It's more like an improv stream of consciousness poem than a song. It's okay as a song. It's definitely my least favorite of the five I've heard so far.

I love The Grants and Sweet, though. The line about remembering her grandmother's last smile really gets to me for some reason. This is going to be a top tier Lana album for me.

Ā 

22 minutes ago, barttttender said:
Ā  Hide contents

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Spoiler

I mean okay, that's your opinion, but you're completely wrong about Zach Dawes. :rip: He only produced The Grants, the title track and Candy Necklace on this album. Drew Erickson produced Sweet and Fingertips.Ā 

Ā 

12 minutes ago, Evergreen said:
Ā  Hide contents

I mean okay, that's your opinion, but you're completely wrong about Zach Dawes. :rip: He only produced The Grants, the title track and Candy Necklace on this album. Drew Erickson produced Sweet and Fingertips.Ā 

Ā 

Yeah drew is the one i dont like. Always confuse the two. Thanks

1 hour ago, FkaIl said:

every fanbase does that. it's loser behavior on their end tbh, especially with the fans that get that way about scrapped material (i.e. non-LB Melanie fans)

Spoiler

So real. Like let me listen to what i want frr.

Ā 

Ā