Elle

Grammy Awards 2024 - Lana Del Rey Nominated for 5 Awards

I know everyone is fuming and it is frustrating for sure. I hope she doesn’t submit her albums anymore TBH.

however, she had stiff competition in her categories. Not that I think that others were more deserving, but I can understand why others took home the gold (although I thought boy genius was way overhyped, I know critics are them up, so it’s no surprise they won for Alt Album).

however, Best Alternative Performance going to Paramore on a song I never even heard of instead of A&W?!? :oprah2: THAT ONE is a stolen Grammy from her. 

14 minutes ago, The Sun Also Rises said:

I woke up and .... 

I don't think I can even bring myself to watch the main show now in retrospect knowing that she doesn't win anything. 

Anyway, I'm feeling really really awful and I need to rant, so, here's my own QFTC

I think the "music industry" is scared of Lana, because she's one of the biggest pop stars in the world right now and she doesn't owe them anything. Her success has been through her own hard work over decades of persistence. As much as journalists tried to push the industry plant theories during BTD, deep down they all know that she's there, standing among them, because she sang to crowds of just ten people in bars, she wrote and wrote and wrote and pushed and pushed and pushed and when finally she hit the radios, people listened. And people loved her. 

The fact that Lana is the force she is without having a single Grammy, without getting huge radio play, without pandering to the critics, the zeitgeist, the egos that need stroking .. that's what they're all afraid of. Intimidated by. 

I think she's one of the only huge artists of our time who took the "traditional" struggle route (touring tiny jazz bars and local pubs) and went "viral" (on tumblr). She incapsulates both the old and the new way of gaining success. 

Plus, her music, her looks — they're endless homages to icons of the past. There's countless references to literature, movies, singers, poetry, cultural icons, fashion. And yet despite building so much on our collective nostalgia, Lana is authentically herself. Despite what magazines try to push, no Lana fan wonders who she is under her references. Nobody thinks it feels empty. It's such a feat to be able to effortlessly reference the past while influencing the future generations. It's been said time and time again how Lana is the reason that Billie, Olivia, even Taylor make the music they do today. For someone who is blinded by their own fear and hatred about Lana's struggles in the past, her "bad influence," her "inauthenticity," having an artist who is simultaneously able to exist in the past, present and future is the epitome of power ... power they didn't bestow and power they didn't want her to have :worship: 

She has built a legacy (and DYKTTATUOB was the cementation of that legacy, whether it won or not) that will surpass 99% of the people in the music industry currently ... 

And it's been said time and time again but things that appeal (mostly) to women are derided. Any kind of media. I totally get what Lana was saying in QFTC although it wasn't worded well (and this probably won't be either). Nothing has changed, not really. I know Lana said in the Billboard awards that she's glad people feel they can't express themselves now as it didn't feel that way in 2008, but I don't think anyone, Billie Taylor and Olivia included, is singing about the experience of being a woman like Lana is: Just look at A&W ... we still have some way to go before people (mostly MEN) accept that it's just as worthwhile to sing about the experience of SA, alcoholism, suicide ideation, abusive relationships, and family trauma as it is to sing about being powerful and strong as a woman (and you can be those things while singing about those topics that everyone just wants to ignore). It takes courage to sing about these things when so often nobody in your own personal life wants to listen! But singing to millions of people? The vulnerability? Beautiful. There are millions of women (and men) who see the power in that. 

On the same topic, I absolutely hate that some stupid articles before the Grammy's didn't even mention Lana's name once despite her being nominated in 2 major categories, yet mentioned Jack in relation to Lana's work. As much as I am happy for Jack for his win it feels much the same way that he won in part thanks to her artistry while she is barely mentioned in the media coverage, on the carpet ... anywhere. Except by Jack and Taylor themselves (:wub:). This might be controversial but it reeks of sexism to me. I just HATE how she is treated almost as if her name is dirty so they just avoid saying. URGH I AM IN SUCH A BAD MOOD :smh:

All of this… and it was really really well written btw. Honestly wish I could share to socials lol  because you lay it out! Fuck the industry and the people who don’t get her honestly. She’s a legend, a true legacy artist, one in a million. There’s nobody like her in our generation and there won’t be again. 

16 minutes ago, The Sun Also Rises said:

I woke up and .... 

I don't think I can even bring myself to watch the main show now in retrospect knowing that she doesn't win anything. 

Anyway, I'm feeling really really awful and I need to rant, so, here's my own QFTC

I think the "music industry" is scared of Lana, because she's one of the biggest pop stars in the world right now and she doesn't owe them anything. Her success has been through her own hard work over decades of persistence. As much as journalists tried to push the industry plant theories during BTD, deep down they all know that she's there, standing among them, because she sang to crowds of just ten people in bars, she wrote and wrote and wrote and pushed and pushed and pushed and when finally she hit the radios, people listened. And people loved her. 

The fact that Lana is the force she is without having a single Grammy, without getting huge radio play, without pandering to the critics, the zeitgeist, the egos that need stroking .. that's what they're all afraid of. Intimidated by. 

I think she's one of the only huge artists of our time who took the "traditional" struggle route (touring tiny jazz bars and local pubs) and went "viral" (on tumblr). She incapsulates both the old and the new way of gaining success. 

Plus, her music, her looks — they're endless homages to icons of the past. There's countless references to literature, movies, singers, poetry, cultural icons, fashion. And yet despite building so much on our collective nostalgia, Lana is authentically herself. Despite what magazines try to push, no Lana fan wonders who she is under her references. Nobody thinks it feels empty. It's such a feat to be able to effortlessly reference the past while influencing the future generations. It's been said time and time again how Lana is the reason that Billie, Olivia, even Taylor make the music they do today. For someone who is blinded by their own fear and hatred about Lana's struggles in the past, her "bad influence," her "inauthenticity," having an artist who is simultaneously able to exist in the past, present and future is the epitome of power ... power they didn't bestow and power they didn't want her to have :worship: 

She has built a legacy (and DYKTTATUOB was the cementation of that legacy, whether it won or not) that will surpass 99% of the people in the music industry currently ... 

And it's been said time and time again but things that appeal (mostly) to women are derided. Any kind of media. I totally get what Lana was saying in QFTC although it wasn't worded well (and this probably won't be either). Nothing has changed, not really. I know Lana said in the Billboard awards that she's glad people feel they can't express themselves now as it didn't feel that way in 2008, but I don't think anyone, Billie Taylor and Olivia included, is singing about the experience of being a woman like Lana is: Just look at A&W ... we still have some way to go before people (mostly MEN) accept that it's just as worthwhile to sing about the experience of SA, alcoholism, suicide ideation, abusive relationships, and family trauma as it is to sing about being powerful and strong as a woman (and you can be those things while singing about those topics that everyone just wants to ignore). It takes courage to sing about these things when so often nobody in your own personal life wants to listen! But singing to millions of people? The vulnerability? Beautiful. There are millions of women (and men) who see the power in that. 

On the same topic, I absolutely hate that some stupid articles before the Grammy's didn't even mention Lana's name once despite her being nominated in 2 major categories, yet mentioned Jack in relation to Lana's work. As much as I am happy for Jack for his win it feels much the same way that he won in part thanks to her artistry while she is barely mentioned in the media coverage, on the carpet ... anywhere. Except by Jack and Taylor themselves (:wub:). This might be controversial but it reeks of sexism to me. I just HATE how she is treated almost as if her name is dirty so they just avoid saying. URGH I AM IN SUCH A BAD MOOD :smh:

You are fucking 100% spot on.

Lana doesn't "play the game". That's why a lot of us thought it was odd that she actively campaigned for Ocean Blvd (at the urging of others it seems?), inspired by the goodwill she'd been receiving, just to ultimately be slapped in the face by the powers that be.

Her punishment, right? Well, no, because she benefits both ways. She doesn't have to ever do SHIT for the Grammys again, and she'll still be incredibly successful, innovative, subversive, and self-maintained... all of that without being some cookie cutter industry shrill trying to impress the industry bigwigs. Isn't she the #2 most streamed female artist on Spotify currently? She's quite literally the 2nd most prolific and successful female artist out there right now. And she did it without being watered down, or playing it safe. 

If she wants to say "fuck it" and go even more gloves off now, well... We ride at dawn! She's a genius. And she'll be fine without a stupid trophy given to her by Boomers who never understood her (or tried to) anyway. Fuck 'em. She's a true rebel, and rebels are rarely rewarded easily by those who have played it safe their entire lives.

On 1/22/2024 at 10:41 AM, niandra lades said:

I came here to say I don't really believe she will win anything but that I want her to and then I saw about how positive you all are and now I feel bad :crying5::eek2: it's just that the Grammys have been SO unfair to her, they have been playing her for way too long 

I REALLY want her to win album of the year !! I just don't wanna get my hopes up but I will be reading this thread so I can feed on this elevated energy 

i was a vissionary

this is so sad!

tumblr_inline_qhw6etIHor1wxgybj_500.gif

last.fm: dope_n_diamonds // twitter: lovinglydelrey

6 minutes ago, one time beauty queen said:

Im violently ill lowkey

68-DC694-B-3892-4607-B3-B6-B3-A5-D7-BC8-F6-B.jpg4-AE25292-BD7-A-4-DBF-9-CC9-969164-CC68-F0.jpg

Worst thing is that she's better than all of them put together.

Say Yes To Heaven alone is better than anything TS ever did , i won't even mention Bleachers ... to think she actually did collabs with them ...

1 hour ago, bluedealer said:

Yet still you can clearly see her saying 'no' and Taylor still was grabbing her hand which is disrespectful. It is not okay 

Jack was ushering Lana along too but ofc everyone wants to blame Taylor only

I really don't think it's that terrible

Wanting to have your friends with you on stage for such an occasion is not some sort of sinister act 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Skfnsk a tiktok edit just popped up on my FYP of clips of Lana with Taylor during her win set to the “always an angel, never a god” part of boygenius’ Not Strong Enough and it destroyed me a little skkk because it’s so true! The whole night, she was the angel. Looking beautiful, giving hugs to Taylor for her wins, standing amongst a seated crowd to clap for Billie during her win, even joining Taylor up on stage as she lost against her while smiling solemnly in the shadows. But she wasn’t the god. She didn’t get that dedicated, shining moment of praise from the industry that she deserved. Yet, she still showed support for everyone else and still kept a smile on her face. & it’s been that way her whole career. She paved the way for so many artists who have now reached major success, always showing her love and support for them, while she rarely ever gets the credit for it herself. Always an angel, never a god.. (also the fact the edit was set to that boygenius song made it hurt even more since they won one of her noms skkk)

I am also one of the people in the bunch who are still running on 3 hours of sleep, so it’s time for me to turn in before I get more delusional loool. Tomorrow’s a new day xx

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

15 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

Lana doesn't "play the game". That's why a lot of us thought it was odd that she actively campaigned for Ocean Blvd (at the urging of others it seems?), inspired by the goodwill she'd been receiving, just to ultimately be slapped in the face by the powers that be.

Her punishment, right? Well, no, because she benefits both ways. She doesn't have to ever do SHIT for the Grammys again, and she'll still be incredibly successful, innovative, subversive, and self-maintained... all of that without being some cookie cutter industry shrill trying to impress the industry bigwigs. Isn't she the #2 most streamed female artist on Spotify currently? She's quite literally the 2nd most prolific and successful female artist out there right now. And she did it without being watered down, or playing it safe. 

If she wants to say "fuck it" and go even more gloves off now, well... We ride at dawn! She's a genius. And she'll be fine without a stupid trophy given to her by Boomers who never understood her (or tried to) anyway. Fuck 'em. She's a true rebel, and rebels are rarely rewarded easily by those who have played it safe their entire lives.

Periodttt!

17 minutes ago, DLT said:

All of this… and it was really really well written btw. Honestly wish I could share to socials lol  because you lay it out! Fuck the industry and the people who don’t get her honestly. She’s a legend, a true legacy artist, one in a million. There’s nobody like her in our generation and there won’t be again. 

Thank you! Your last sentence :agree: She is THE legacy and THE legend of our generation :worship:

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

15 hours ago, Embach said:

worst case scenario is if lana doesn't win any of those awards, lb gonna nuke the grammys

So...what's next? :hillary:

url%5D

17 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

Hit the nail on the head :smokes5:

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

There's a lesson in this folks " Trust No One" , the Grammys used her for ratings , Antonoff put her in that Bleaches songs ( not on his control that she lost ) , but don't bend over backwards too much for others that you end up second place while they win over you.

I have to say I do really like the fact that Taylor brought her up on stage and shouted her out and it’s really nice that she’s always paying homage to her and respecting her. You can tell she genuinely adores Lana. Also the hair fixing moment and them holding hands was just :wub:

Lana winning a Grammy in this edition would've been the cherry on top of the pie cus it almost felt like they were celebrating women in music. n e ways fuck the grammys and the mfs who voted 

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey