Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

now that i’ve made a blue banisters album on my spotify w the singles and the leaked songs to see what it would sound like, i kinda wish she chose unreleased that wasnt already leaked :noparty: i know i was a strong fighter in the lana can use her unreleased it’s her music movement but the amount we have on this record is insane, with the 4 singles (and interlude) too it feels like i’m hearing barely any new material. i still believe lana can use her unreleased, but with the way this era played out i wish she had either chose less unreleased, didn’t release 4 singles before hand, chose unleaked material as well (such as songs we have wanted for ages, roses bloom for you for example) or heavily reworked them. but we will have to see what they do sound like officially released. i’m glad a wider audience gets to experience them and i can have them on physical copies tho! and i’m not complaining reallyyyyyyy because we got 2 albums this year and a surprise coming :wub:

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

1 hour ago, May said:

i like arcadia, her vocals sound good but the vocals on some lines are simply painful on the ears especially in earphones :rip: idk if it’s her mic technique or if it’s the production or what but i have to turn the volume down right before a couple of certain lines

I actually think this is a Spotify only issue because the YouTube version doesn’t clip like that 

however my own problem with Arcadia is how flat she is during one of the lines and I’m sure it’s a stylistic choice to convey emotion but once I heard it I CANT Unhear it 

2 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

No I agree wholeheartedly

Also, lots of lyrics are worded very awkwardly. "In the month of mid July" was the beginning and now we've arrived at "run your hands over me like a Land Rover" 

I know what she's trying to say but it's expressed so awkwardly that I think it makes it sound like a Land Rover has hands that run over people. Bad attempt at expressing that metaphor imo

I haven't found any of her lyrics to be particularly brilliant lately. Insightful maybe, but not cleverly crafted. Wildfire is probably the best of the four lyrically

Her lyrics used to be very nuanced and filled with subtle messages that you had to really contemplate and Arcadia's lyrics are so simplistic and transparent that they almost sound like they belong in a song by The Wiggles explaining the circulatory system to 4 year olds

Yes actually simplistic is how they feel to me too. 

And I'm never a fan of the social media references and references of "the culture", being "lit" (even in thunder, the "lit" lyric is the one thing I don't like).

Basically her past lyrics felt really rich with stimulus- visual and emotional, even mental in some songs, particularly unreleased. There's no way I could relate to living the fast life in cars drinking with old men, but I felt it because she expressed it well. Even the slower life described in honeymoon was so rich. Now everything seems like a bland description of nothing much. I hate to say it, really. 

Omg I'm never gonna unhear the Arcadia Wiggles description. 

59 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Yes actually simplistic is how they feel to me too. 

And I'm never a fan of the social media references and references of "the culture", being "lit" (even in thunder, the "lit" lyric is the one thing I don't like).

Basically her past lyrics felt really rich with stimulus- visual and emotional, even mental in some songs, particularly unreleased. There's no way I could relate to living the fast life in cars drinking with old men, but I felt it because she expressed it well. Even the slower life described in honeymoon was so rich. Now everything seems like a bland description of nothing much. I hate to say it, really. 

Omg I'm never gonna unhear the Arcadia Wiggles description. 

I really don't like Lana vs. Lorde comparisons because they are two completely different artists and humans, however, I feel that it illustrates my point, so: Solar Power is about Lorde's everyday life. There's a song about her dog that passed. Lyrics about imposter syndrome. Etc. But the thing is, none of the songs sound like diary entries. I really feel like Lana's songs of late sound like diary entries, and maybe that's what she's going for - and maybe that's even what most people here like - but there's more to a good song than just recounting your feelings.

I feel like, if you're going to do that, you've got to be discerning and know what to leave out. This is why you have a diary in the first place - because nobody wants to read that shit, really. She's doing the lyrical equivalent of dumping every single photo from your phone onto your IG, including the blurry selfie and the accidental picture of a tablecloth. I think she thinks it's endearing, and it was to a point, but now my interest is waning. I think people eat it up more than they should just because they are stans and she was so reticent in the past, and now she isn't.

"My body is a map of LA" - we get it. She likes living in LA. We've heard about LA in how many songs and poems? I get that she lives there. But does Lorde write about New Zealand in most songs? No. Do Florence or Marina write about the UK in most songs? No. Do other American artists write about America in most songs? No. At this point I really wish she'd come up with something else. American themes are okay when they are purposeful and tie in with the meaning of the song but when that meaning is just "I live in LA and my friends come over and swim in my pool, teehee," and variations of that over and over, it's boring.

Idk maybe I am unstanning without consciously meaning to. I am looking forward to the UV outtakes, though.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

3 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

No I agree wholeheartedly

Also, lots of lyrics are worded very awkwardly. "In the month of mid July" was the beginning and now we've arrived at "run your hands over me like a Land Rover" 

I know what she's trying to say but it's expressed so awkwardly that I think it makes it sound like a Land Rover has hands that run over people. Bad attempt at expressing that metaphor imo

I haven't found any of her lyrics to be particularly brilliant lately. Insightful maybe, but not cleverly crafted. Wildfire is probably the best of the four lyrically

Her lyrics used to be very nuanced and filled with subtle messages that you had to really contemplate and Arcadia's lyrics are so simplistic and transparent that they almost sound like they belong in a song by The Wiggles explaining the circulatory system to 4 year olds

The only thing I noticed about her mighty progression in lyricism is more words and more random themes. No catchyness. In terms of the melody and production, the song Guns and Roses sounds like a masterpiece compared to her recent discography, since people love to say how that's one of her worst songs. I prefer the cringy 'kiss me with your blue jeans on the balcony, daddy' because it was at least catchy, cool, edgy and different from the rest of the artists. 

2 hours ago, May said:

i like arcadia, her vocals sound good but the vocals on some lines are simply painful on the ears especially in earphones :rip: idk if it’s her mic technique or if it’s the production or what but i have to turn the volume down right before a couple of certain lines

Yeah, her voice doesn't really sound that good when singing higher and louder. Sounds kinda shaky. She sounds really good in that Summertime cover and WW tho, I couldn't say the same for Arcadia. 

1 hour ago, Deadly Cruel Girl said:

The Arcadia music video is cringey.

I like the song though. It's not as great as Video Games but it's okay. I like Wildflower more.

Like literally. She had a million ways to make a cheap homemade "authentic" video. Why is everything for her so mediocre since Chemtrails? She is really starting to give uncool mom vibes. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

1 hour ago, littleredpartydress said:

however my own problem with Arcadia is how flat she is during one of the lines and I’m sure it’s a stylistic choice to convey emotion but once I heard it I CANT Unhear it 

I reallyyy liked the song and the instrumentation ( esp the choice of including strings ) but my problem as well is the delivery of some of the lines vocally after listening to the song many times . Maybe the stylistic choice of vocals is my main issue because i have a soft spot for her deeper vocals but idk 

A beautiful song nonetheless

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

2 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I really don't like Lana vs. Lorde comparisons because they are two completely different artists and humans, however, I feel that it illustrates my point, so: Solar Power is about Lorde's everyday life. There's a song about her dog that passed. Lyrics about imposter syndrome. Etc. But the thing is, none of the songs sound like diary entries. I really feel like Lana's songs of late sound like diary entries, and maybe that's what she's going for - and maybe that's even what most people here like - but there's more to a good song than just recounting your feelings.

I feel like, if you're going to do that, you've got to be discerning and know what to leave out. This is why you have a diary in the first place - because nobody wants to read that shit, really. She's doing the lyrical equivalent of dumping every single photo from your phone onto your IG, including the blurry selfie and the accidental picture of a tablecloth. I think she thinks it's endearing, and it was to a point, but now my interest is waning. I think people eat it up more than they should just because they are stans and she was so reticent in the past, and now she isn't.

"My body is a map of LA" - we get it. She likes living in LA. We've heard about LA in how many songs and poems? I get that she lives there. But does Lorde write about New Zealand in most songs? No. Do Florence or Marina write about the UK in most songs? No. Do other American artists write about America in most songs? No. At this point I really wish she'd come up with something else. American themes are okay when they are purposeful and tie in with the meaning of the song but when that meaning is just "I live in LA and my friends come over and swim in my pool, teehee," and variations of that over and over, it's boring.

Idk maybe I am unstanning without consciously meaning to. I am looking forward to the UV outtakes, though.

She recycles lyrics a lot. Like a lot a lot.

God help me if she uses the "no candle in the wind" lyrics on this album too.

She's stuck. Like writers block. She can't come up with anything new. I wish she would move back to NYC.

1 hour ago, shady said:

Like literally. She had a million ways to make a cheap homemade "authentic" video. Why is everything for her so mediocre since Chemtrails? She is really starting to give uncool mom vibes. 

Nah, this started with Chuck's messy homemade videos for NFR. lol

I don't know why Lana's videos are so bland since then. Videos Games was homemade and it's a classic video. The Summer Wine video was cute too.

Laziness?

The Arcadia music video is a complete trash. We like it because it's from Lana, but it's terrible. The visual effects make it worse and she really needed to stick her tongue and show the middle finger twice?

At least the song is better than LMLLAW

Lana's vocals now > Lana's vocals in 2011-2012. At least to me, she sounds a lot more in control of her voice now and I personally think it sounds better (and I think that if she went for certain vocal stylings now that she did then like MDM live vocals or even the baby voice, it would still sound better today than it did 10 years ago)

imageproxy.jpg

40 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

The Arcadia music video is a complete trash. We like it because it's from Lana, but it's terrible. The visual effects make it worse and she really needed to stick her tongue and show the middle finger twice?

At least the song is better than LMLLAW

It just has the vibe of her and Charlie fucking around and that's not wrong per se, but it doesn't suit the song at all.

She utilises her friends and family in her professional life too much and undermines her work imo

Time and place

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

7 hours ago, May said:

This is also how I feel about the Blue Banisters title track. Like the volume of her vocals are all over the place, it kinda sounds like she isn't controlling her breathing properly? And that leads to her 'overshooting' some of the lines and it ends up being painful to hear.

Her vocals used to sound very effortless but now it sounds like she's struggling a bit to keep it under control :true:

I haven't looked forward to a LDR tour/festival since 2017. She has been recycling the same BTD/UV dominated setlist for years now and it's so tiring, it probably tires her too considering how apathetic she was during her recent shows. A part of me understands why she would perform her greatest hits on festivals but I don't think it would be necessary to ghost her recent albums in favor of BTD on her own tour. 

9 minutes ago, House of Balloons said:

I haven't looked forward to a LDR tour/festival since 2017. She has been recycling the same BTD/UV dominated setlist for years now and it's so tiring, it probably tires her too considering how apathetic she was during her recent shows. A part of me understands why she would perform her greatest hits on festivals but I don't think it would be necessary to ghost her recent albums in favor of BTD on her own tour. 

i still have nightmares from 3/4 of the nfr tracklist having 40 second a capella performances on the tour while born to die was sang back to back left to right up and down 

tumblr_inline_nojcj6qe1j1s5i2my_400.gif gmgif.gif morrissey-flowers.gif

4 hours ago, Vanilla Icy said:

ultraviolence has really boring visuals apart from the shades of cool music video 

I think that Ultraviolence was supposed to have a 70s bittersweet down to earth vibe. I'm kinda disappointed that the vinyl gatefold and sleeves didn't have a prettier interior design since Neil Krug absolutely nailed the album photoshoots. 

49 minutes ago, Super Movie said:

Lana's vocals now > Lana's vocals in 2011-2012. At least to me, she sounds a lot more in control of her voice now and I personally think it sounds better (and I think that if she went for certain vocal stylings now that she did then like MDM live vocals or even the baby voice, it would still sound better today than it did 10 years ago)

Definitely, whenever I hear Ride, although it's one of her best songs, her vocals seem kinda forced and unnatural. 

15 minutes ago, House of Balloons said:

:um2: haven't seen her live since 2013