Elle

LDR6 - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

It’s just so funny and odd? I’m not Latina so I don’t want to assume that it’s derogatory or not. I’m sure most Latinx people don’t mind or think it’s bad. But it’s just plain weird for her to even do that. (It did seem like she was drunk or high during that performance though)

I don’t think the fake accent is THAT bad. I mean compared to other celebrities who make fools out of themselves. But it is just the one thing she gets clocked for. (Also anyone appropriating culture doesn’t think they are doing it disrespectfully.)

i'm Latino and personally i find it funny. the Latino culture can be fun and cool to partake in at times. we have people dressing up as cholos and cholas for Halloween or for spirit week at schools. it's not necessarily disrespectful, it's flattering at how much of an influence your own culture can have on people to where they want to partake in it. LANA DEL REY IN ITSELF IS SPANISH, meaning wool of the king. i don't think Lana is being disrespectful or mocking the Spanish culture with that accent or with her stage name, rather she finds the culture appealing and exotic. she wants to take part in it which i don't think is disrespectful unless she stays true to who she really is.

giphy.gif

whats funny is that people complain about people "appropriating" culture when every culture has done that. egyptians, greeks, romans, ancient europeans, ancient africans, ancient asians, etc. everyone has borrowed something from another culture and gave it a new meaning whether its art, clothes, architecture, symbols, religion, etc.

people just complain because they're idiots and 'woke'

I was looking for her use of that spanish accent on festivals and came across this

https://www.acelinguist.com/2018/02/dialect-dissection-lana-del-reys.html

It's a very interesting article with examples of different accents in her music go read it guys bye

I love reading stuff like this about Lana. I think that's one of the reasons she's so interesting. We can't pin her down :illumarina:  

giphy.gif

I can't believe there's something left in my chest anymore 

The reason why cultural appropriation is still a relevant issue is because when white people take from other cultures such a wearing braids styles from African roots, or bindis at coachella, and other is that society treats the use of these things on white people to be high fashion or beautiful while when worn by the people from those actual cultures to be trashy or fresh off the boat. This also goes to Lana’s use of chola characters on herself in tropico to the indigenous head piece in ride which was problematic (tho on theme) since we viewed it as another white person taking from minorities and benefiting from it. I’m not attacking lana but it’s better to love and criticize when she’s right and wrong than to follow blindly. People in this fandom need to realize that these issues aren’t small, and if you’re a minority who doesn’t give a shit, check yourself.

The one thing I don’t agree with is “braids from African root” uhhhh..... Africans aren’t the only ethnicity to braid their hair. And dreads aren’t racially specific either. Hairstyles are what people need to calm the fuck down about imo. It’s hair. Especially braids, people have been braiding their hair in ancient Asia, Greece, Vikings did it, Native Americans did it. The whole hair thing needs to die

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

The one thing I don’t agree with is “braids from African root” uhhhh..... Africans aren’t the only ethnicity to braid their hair. And dreads aren’t racially specific either. Hairstyles are what people need to calm the fuck down about imo. It’s hair. Especially braids, people have been braiding their hair in ancient Asia, Greece, Vikings did it, Native Americans did it. The whole hair thing needs to die

When I say African roots, there’s a reason. I’m not disregarding braids from Asia, or from native Americans or from Europe, no (I’m from Indian background so we have braids too)The reason why I specifically said African roots is due to the fact that in america, in high fashion in the media, hairstyle such as dreads, Bantu knots and other styles that originated from the continent of Africa, from the carabean islands, from BLACK people are taken and “elevated” by he use of white people. When a African American women wears dreads to a red carpet, she’s deemed a pot head, dirty, unsophisticated. When a white women wears it it’s hot, trendy,. When WHITE models on the runway wear Bantu knots, braids ETC ITS HIGH FASHION, couture, trendsetting, but when a black girl wears it it’s made fun of, it’s gross. Hairstyles that are worn by black people predominantyl and have been for YEARS are deemed to be “elevated” because it’s worn by white people. That’s why it’s relevant to say that taking these hairstyles from people of colour, from people of African decent is cultural appropriation. The hairstyles issue is not being fake woke, it’s an actual issue. If your 21 year old ass can’t understand that but my 21 year old ass can, try to make an effort to and not to just disregard the whole thing entirely.

Xoxo

IM STRONGER THANgiphy.gifALL MY MEN...

Tbh, not even the UV demos can save us from starvation   :eartha2:

Well, the UV demos prove one thing: the songs on that record, even from the start, were incredibly strong ones. Sad Girl and FMWUTTT aren't really that different (more laid-back and that's it). Only MPG is a bit different, more «oriental». 

But yeah, we are starved. When she drops something, we will all lose our minds. The show on Friday will be somewhat of an «event» in a very dry couple of weeks. 

Cultural appropriation has some sense but the majority of what people think about it is completely stupid at the end of the day we're meant to be becoming a multicultural society and there are much bigger issues with enforcing human rights than what someone is wearing-people need to get their priorities in order tbh.

Although that accent was ridiculous what was she thinking!

I agree with this but the line really isn't that blurry. 

Food and clothing for everyday use  = fine and the actual definition of multicultural society (e.g. enjoying Mexican and Chinese food, wearing clothes with a 'kimono' style cut) 

Wearing specific body paint,  headress or symbolism that was used for VERY particular rituals/traditions or only meant for people with high status who earned it,  etc. for whatever the white people wanna wear it for =  actual definition of appropriation,  and should probably be stopped

That is all.   :smokes3:

i don't understand why y'all act like it's been 37829228 years since lust for life dropped, it's not even a year since its release my god, y'all are WEAK

Yes we are. I plead guilty. 

Maybe it has something with fact that she mentioned last year that she could release BAR and Yosemite as singles... I don't know. 

Well, the UV demos prove one thing: the songs on that record, even from the start, were incredibly strong ones. Sad Girl and FMWUTTT aren't really that different (more laid-back and that's it). Only MPG is a bit different, more «oriental». 

is there a source for this since it sounds right (re: SOC demo(?) is very close to released version) since i've never heard of the MPG shit before

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

Yes we are. I plead guilty. 

Maybe it has something with fact that she mentioned last year that she could release BAR and Yosemite as singles... I don't know. 

well , we wouldn't be so "rabid" if she didn't say "watch out for new music" at the Milan show and if she didn't tease "Happiness Is A Butterfly"

so it's not 100% our fault 

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

is there a source for this since it sounds right (re: SOC demo(?) is very close to released version) since i've never heard of the MPG shit before

honeymouns on Insta. He released the MPG and FMWUTTY snippets and another one in his stories (Sad Girl). Don't know about the SOC snippet though.