Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

Just now, Lustformoney said:

also Qobuz confirmed that UMG themselves gave them the date 5/09, theres just a possibility to change since a lot of records were delayed because of corona.

That could be delays for the physical then, and the digital could still be on the 5th and that’s why she didn’t specify any dates as it might’ve been confusing for some? And she would’ve preferred to have it in writing so it was more clearly outlined? We shall see!

22 minutes ago, DCooper said:

I agree that her approach has changed a bit and become more serious, but I still think the satire is there, and I also think it's all a part of the bigger story she is telling. She is evolving and maturing after all as a person.

In terms of the character and story she's creating, I feel as though Lust for Life was her way of trying to move past the gloominess of her life and find happiness, which she does to a certain degree but it's also somewhat superficial because the search for happiness can't be forced, it's a lifelong journey.

NFR seems to take a step back and examine her life as a part of the bigger picture, and also looks at the world at large. For me, The Greatest is like the climax of the story she's been telling this whole time, and "the culture is lit, and if this is it, I had a ball" is highly satirical. She's watching the world burn and recognizing that while it's been a fun ride, none of it is real because today's culture lives in a self-absorbed bubble where we turn a blind eye to all the destruction around us. Right afterwards, in Bartender, she acknowledges her role as a simple rich lady having tea parties and garden meditations, and while she enjoys it, she knows it's not enough because she still escapes in the middle of the night to find something more. Then we have Happiness is a Butterfly, which I think is a song where she regresses the most lyrically and once again explores the simple themes of a toxic relationship that keeps hurting her, because history always repeats itself and it's hard to break free from these patterns in life. Which brings us to Hope, her most lyrically profound song in my opinion where she goes deeper than ever before and recognizes how damaged she is, but she still has hope that she can change.

In Violet she finally lets us inside, not just to see what she wants us to see, but to see it all and explore her innermost thoughts. In Paradise is Very Fragile it all sinks in and she finally sees the problems with her glamorous lifestyle, because if the inhabitants of paradise take too much there will be nothing left for the rest of us, and she recognizes her role in that. Bare Feet on Lineoleum is the final thing she's left us on before Chemtrails, and it has her facing a crossroads. Does she finally abandon the superficial world she's built up around her and keep searching for something real, or does she lean further into complacency and chop vegetables into stew for the rest of her life. Given the horrifying music that accompanies that ending, I assume that she's going to "wake up" in Chemtrails and break open her world to continue her search for happiness in a new direction.

Sorry for the rambling novel LOL it's just fun to think about and explore the story she's telling. I think ultimately Lana will always be telling a story about the lifelong journey towards peace and happiness, and while she may never get there fully, it's a beautiful thing to experience as it's a journey most people in the world can relate to in some way or another.

No problem--you're definitely not rambling. You're thinking. I know people here often tell of the 'story' she's telling over the course of her career or on a given record, but I admit it's something I don't see, nor do I necessarily see 'cohesion' on any of her albums, as many people here say they do. I do see 'reasons why,' for instance, reasons why she changed course radically from BTD/P to UV, but I think those reasons have to do with events in her life, in criticisms she received in that era, and especially due to her saying that Lorde badly criticized her and then essentially "stole" her sound. So she abandoned it to Lorde, which, in my opinion, was a huge mistake. She should have stood her ground and kicked Lorde's artistic by sticking to her original vision. I, personally, did not find a lot of UV very credible. 'Gods & Monsters,' for me, is 100 times more biting and tough than 'Cruel World.' or 'Live or Die,' or 'Velvet Crowbar.' 

I don't see much satire, if any, in that line you've quoted from TG, though I do see multiple meanings and of course there are layers of irony in the all the lyrics for the song, but I take TG pretty straight, so ultimately I think she means just what she says. It's a grim track, especially as it just trails off into infinity...

I agree that 'Hope' is a profound song, and places her in the firmament with other great songwriters, especially female artists like Joni Mitchell and Tori Amos, but for me, it's not what I look to LDR for, and that's just my personal taste. I never play it.

As for LFL, too bad she didn't leave the title track alone; the final version was just a silly and failed pop pastiche in my opinion, while the original, with the 'wild caged animal lying by the swimming pool' was not only so much the 'true' LDR, but also sad and beautiful. For me, they cut all the best parts out of the song. I never play the final version either. 

'Violets' I have but have only listened to a few times. It's better than I expected it would be, and a feather in the cap of her career. 

So, as I said yesterday, I don't expect a lot of genuine 'bite' on COCC, but I hope the artistry is there, as I feel it was not on a lot of NFR. Recent leaks like 'Serene Queen,' 'Thunder' and 'I Talk to Jesus' have renewed my hope in what she's actually capable of. 'Living Legend' too. 

15 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:

No. ?

Soon means something possibly within weeks. 

She told us that NFR will be out in 2 Months during a show in June 2019. And so it did.

Same way she mentioned it's coming out on Sep 5. There is no way she couldve said that date without it being finalized. 

Why is it not clicking for you ?.

UMG confirmed the Sep 5 date as well.

And Ben wont say SOOOON if it means 2-3months.

There is no definition of soon it can mean anything.. weeks or months, Ben didn’t say album soon it was Ed her other manager.  He said ‘New music coming soon’ that can mean a single not necessarily an album.  She’s made it obvious that no album is coming Saturday and trustable sources have said it’s delayed, she’s still doing a music video! That isn’t going to come after the album is out that makes no sense.  She said violets is coming this month, so clearly the focus will be on that. 

you can still choose to believe it’s all an elaborate sham and lie to hide a surprise release, but very little is pointing towards it.  If it was going to be a surprise release she’d not have mentioned 5th September to begin with ??‍♂️  

it’s just classic confused Lana not knowing what she wants to do and being indecisive. We have had 6 albums of this so we should be used to it by now.

for the record I’d LOVE to be wrong.

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

5 hours ago, lamms said:

@takeitdoen Yes! Not sure if it applies to all performers, but the ones I know like to play songs they usually don't play for Western shows. In a way it's the same when Japan gets special releases with more songs and so on. And audiences are participating but still respectful. I'd love to see her in that environment, like Zepp Tokyo or even festivals like Fuji Rock

Totally. Is Lana big in Japan btw? I always took for granted the fact that her aesthetic could be seen as interesting/appealing in Japan, specially the BTD era looks and I'm genuinely curious as I don't think I've come across any fans from the Far east (like there are a lot from Arabian countries, India, Thailand and Philippines on social networks but I've never seen any Japanese or Chinese there tbh). Intriguing.:pft:

5fe355eac0b664d0bc39e10665a55b42.gif

She's a gorgeous narcissist and she knows it.

11 minutes ago, dayayo said:

In a lot of ways I read her like I would a Douglas Sirk film. Specifically imitation of life.

The 'old' LDR, yes, the LRD of 'Ride,' of 'American,' of 'Wait For Life,' of 'Old Money,'  even '13 Beaches.' Douglas Sick is exactly right. 

I separate her songs into those I feel reflect 'her genuine self and creative voice' and then the 'other LDR,' which I don't care for, and who I feel is uninspired. 

The recent leaks have all been from 'the real LDR,' including the LFL demo, 'Living Legend,' 'Serene Queen,' and 'I Talk to Jesus,' and I really love them all. 

So via the title of COCC, we may definitely be back in Douglas Sick land. I hope we are. I wish someone other than JA was producing, as I didn't care for his work on most of NFR. 

i think its gonna be either

1. digital album drops on sept 5 along w preorder for physical copies and merch

2. Lmlylaw drops on sept 5 to keep us happy after everyone is mad that theres no album

3. Literally nothing happens till october

I think she may drop LMLYLAW in like... 2 or 3 weeks, and i think the album can be out in 2 months more or less, yes she said soon but her manager said it's not finished and we know she's been doing things these pasts weeks so i'd say 1/5 - 2  months until the album

2 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

The 'old' LDR, yes, the LRD of 'Ride,' of 'American,' of 'Wait For Life,' of 'Old Money,'  even '13 Beaches.' Douglas Sick is exactly right. 

I separate her songs into those I feel reflect 'her genuine self and creative voice' and then the 'other LDR,' which I don't care for, and who I feel is uninspired. 

The recent leaks have all been from 'the real LDR,' including the LFL demo, 'Living Legend,' 'Serene Queen,' and 'I Talk to Jesus,' and I really love them all. 

So via the title of COCC, we may definitely be back in Douglas Sick land. I hope we are. I wish someone other than JA was producing, as I didn't care for his work on most of NFR. 

Thunder was amazing, I think her with actual backup singers on a full album could really bring her to another level. Like Dusty Springfield in Memphis level. 
she’s never been played here (Memphis) but so much of her iconography feels centered here, it’s kind of shocking. 

9 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

No problem--you're definitely not rambling. You're thinking. I know people here often tell of the 'story' she's telling over the course of her career or on a given record, but I admit it's something I don't see, nor do I necessarily see 'cohesion' on any of her albums, as many people here say they do. I do see 'reasons why,' for instance, reasons why she changed course radically from BTD/P to UV, but I think those reasons have to do with events in her life, in criticisms she received in that era, and especially due to her saying that Lorde badly criticized her and then essentially "stole" her sound. So she abandoned it to Lorde, which, in my opinion, was a huge mistake. She should have stood her ground and kicked Lorde's artistic ass and sticking to her original vision. I, personally, did not find a lot of UV very credible. 'Gods & Monsters,' for me, is 100 times more biting than 'Cruel World.' 

I don't see much satire if any in that line you've quoted from TG, though I do see multiple meanings and of course there are layers of irony in the all the lyrics for the song, but I take TG pretty straight, so ultimately I think she means just what she says.

I agree that 'Hope' is a profound song, and places her in the firmament with other great songwriters, especially female artists like Joni Mitchell and Tori Amos, but for me, it's not what I look to LDR for, and that's just my personal taste. I never play it.

As for LFL, too bad she didn't leave the title track alone; the final version was just a failed pop pastiche in my opinion, while the original, with the 'wild caged animal lying by the swimming pool' was not only so much the 'true' LDR, but also sad and beautiful. For me, they cut all the best parts out of the song. I never play the final version either. 

'Violets' I have but have only listened to a few times. It's better than I expected it would be, and a feather in the cap of her career. 

So, as I said yesterday, I don't expect a lot of genuine 'bite' on COCC, but I hope the artistry is there, as I feel it was not on a lot of NFR. Recent leaks like 'Serene Queen,' 'Thunder' and 'I Talk to Jesus' have renewed my hope in what she's actually capable of. 'Living Legend' too. 

Thanks. That's all fair enough. I personally feel there is a lot of cohesion in all her work but like all art it's really subjective and people will take different things from what she's doing. I also really love her recent leaks.

Given the title of Chemtrails, I am expecting some more bite.

Just now, DCooper said:

Thanks. That's all fair enough. I personally feel there is a lot of cohesion in all her work but like all art it's really subjective and people will take different things from what she's doing. I also really love her recent leaks.

Given the title of Chemtrails, I am expecting some more bite.

Let's hope so, Agent Cooper. 

16 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Tulsa Jesus Freak - Arkansas/Kansas 

Wizard of Oz - Dorothy is from Kansas 

Neil Krug - is from Kansas 

Wizard of Oz theme confirmed! :mj2:
Edit: Lana was in Kansas for the midwestern tour and loved it, inspiration must’ve struck there? 

also this post and the creepy doll from that epic charlie's ig story

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

I've only listened to the TJF snippet three times, yet somehow I remember exactly how it sounded :defeated: that song is gonna destroy me

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

if LMLYLAW is a more low-key song, maybe even a ballad, then — also because she's not shooting a video for it but wants it out first — it might be just to make some buzz without major popularity expectations 

therefore she could drop it even only a day before the album and it wouldn't be odd

so #septears can still be saved ?