Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

3 minutes ago, The Greatest said:

Totally agree — TikTok shows you what you respond to. My whole algorithm is music related and I’ve found artists I love through TikTok that don’t fit the mold people are talking about. Yes it blasts certain (shitty) songs but at the end of the day it reflects the users preference. The commodification of music in general is causing the quality issue. 

Exactly!

tiktok it’s just a more popular tumblr for the 2020’s kids/teens/young adults

tumblr did the same thing selling us an artist– that’s how lana (alongside others) got famous.

it’s shitty how capitalism transforms everything into a product (like, even food that it’s a basic human need, that grows for free in trees etc are being sold and you have to pay for it! Pay for something that you need to survive… that’s weird af)

5 minutes ago, marryingkind said:

Lana is pretty commercial tbh (love her tho)

but we shouldn’t fall for the narrative that she’s alternative and a underdog bc she is not

well i wouldn’t consider her an “underdog,” but she is “alternative.” she diverts from the typical pop spectrum, in terms of songwriting, sound, voice style, etc, therefore she is different. being popular doesn’t make you “not alternative.” for example, nirvana, one of the greatest and most popular bands of all time, is still an alt grunge band.

1 minute ago, hayden del rey said:

well i wouldn’t consider her an “underdog,” but she is “alternative.” she diverts from the typical pop spectrum, in terms of songwriting, sound, voice style, etc, therefore she is different. being popular doesn’t make you “not alternative.” for example, nirvana, one of the greatest and most popular bands of all time, is still an alt grunge band.

^ a fantastic take

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

TikTok is not the problem. It’s just another way to consume music. It’s honestly a great medium reviving a lot of old songs.

I think streaming is partly to blame why songs are getting shorter. Spotify mainly. Paying artists based on play counts. Songs only need 30s played to count. It is visibly causing the industry to shorten songs to get more play counts. That system needs to be revamped quickly.

Youtube does the same for views (30s count as a view), but they have their engagement system to counter this so it doesn’t encourage that kind of behavior. Long fully engaged views pay the content creators more. There’s no such system on Spotify and that’s a huge problem. The pay rate for Spotify is exactly the same whether it’s just 30s played or the full song.

38 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

I haven’t listened to songs. I’m waiting for full and in order experience.

I’ve only listened to Ocean Blvd and A&W 5 or 6 times after their release too.

So let’s see how it will turn out. 

good decision :true:

I think next time I won't listen to any pre-released singles

Spoiler

because the title track now sounds a bit worn out next to the other fresh songs :icant:

8 minutes ago, hayden del rey said:

But even that “alternative” concept. I mean, it’s alternative until certain point, you know? It’s alternative but it’s still palatable/“sellable”.

it’s not like, idk, diamanda galas, you know?

(but still, that doesn’t means that lana isn’t good or that she’s just like, idk, miley cyrus or dula peep. Of course they’re different, but I do think that Lana is like in ther borderline from pop to alternative but still it’s commercial)

47 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

I haven’t listened to songs. I’m waiting for full and in order experience.

I’ve only listened to Ocean Blvd and A&W 5 or 6 times after their release too.

So let’s see how it will turn out. 

this was a good decision- me on the other hand i'm not really sure if i want to comfortably say how many times i've listened to A&W, i really do think i would receive a welfare check

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

47 minutes ago, Frangipani said:

I've transcribed the lyrics to Fingertips but I can't make a couple of lyrics out. Any thoughts?

Reveal hidden contents

When I look back, tracing fingertips over plastic bags
Thinking I wish I could extrapolate some small intention
Or maybe just get your attention, for a minute or two

Will I die, or will I get to that ten year mark
Where I beat the extinction of telomeres
And if I do, will you be there with me
Father, sister, brother
Charlie stopped smoking, Caroline will you be with me
Will the baby be alright
Will I have one of mine
Can I handle it, even if I do
They said that my mind
It's not fit, or so they said, to carry a child
I guess I'll be fine

It wasn't my idea the cocktail of things that twist neurones inside, but without them I'd die
They say there's irony in the music it's a tragedy I-
See nothing creeking in

Give me a mausoleum in Rhode island
With dad, grandma, grandpa and Dave who hung himself real high
In the national park sky

It's a shame and they're crying (???) get to you, save you
If I take my lamp, find your astral body
Put it into my arms
Give you two seconds to cry
Take you home, I-
I'll give you a blanket so your spirit can sit and watch TV by my side

Cause baby I,
Ran through a time when I felt you were doing it
I couldn't handle it, I was in Monaco
I couldn't hear what they said on the telephone
I had to sing for the prince in two hours
Sat in the shower, gave myself two seconds to cry
It's a shame that we die

When I was fifteen, the next door neighbours did a drive by
Pulled me up by my waist-long hair to the beach side
I wanted to go out like you,
Swim with the fishes he caught on long island beaches
But sometimes it's just not your time, Caroline

What kind of mother was she to say I'd end up in institutions
All I wanted to do was kiss Erin Greene and say bye,
The lake twisting lime into the drinks that they made,
Have a babe at sixteen, the town I was born and die
Erin ended up dead and not me
With the folks (???) send me away never to come back
Exotic places and people to take the place of being your child

I give myself two seconds to cry
Let it crash over me like the waves in the sea
Call me Aphrodite as they bow down to me
Sun bather, moonchaser, queen of empathy
I give myself to seconds to breathe
And go back to being the singing queen
I just needed two seconds to be me

Any chance you’ve transcribed The Grants and Sweet? Or could you do it for a fellow LanaBoards member? :smile3:

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

2 minutes ago, Yosemite said:

Any chance you’ve transcribed The Grants and Sweet? Or could you do it for a fellow LanaBoards member? :smile3:

The Grants from ATRL, I don't have Sweet lyrics.

Spoiler

So you say there's a chance for us...
Should I do a dance for once? 
You're a family man
But... but...

Do you think about heaven?
Do you think about me?
My pastor told me 
When you leave all you take
Is your memories

And I'm gonna take mine of you with me
I'm gonna take mine of you with me

So many mountains too high to climb
So many rivers so low, but I'm
Doing the hard stuff, I'm doing my time
I'm doing it for us, for our family line

Do you think about heaven?
Do you think about me?
My pastor told me
When you leave all you take
Is your memories

And I wanna take mine of you with me
I'm gonna take mine of you with me
Yeah, I'm gonna take mine of you with me
Like Rocky Mountain High, the way John Denver sings

My sister's first born child
I'll take that, too, with me
My grandmother's last smile
I wanna take that, too, with me
It's a beautiful life
Remember that, too, for me

Honestly, I feel like this album will truly be her magnum opus because it isn’t a simple album. I think it is very complex and there are layers that will take months to truly understand. This album will definitely prove to be an amazing work. I think it will age well 

Spoiler

I really love how she extrapolated the vocal delivery of Wait for Life in Sweet. I'm really enjoying that one so far; it sounds, well, sweet and the production is like the very best of Blue Banisters to me, it's even more lush. :lanahairflip3:

Spoiler

Excited to hear peppers. From what is possible to hear from the tagged shit, it sounds like a nice song to listen while giving the most nasty b******

1 minute ago, marryingkind said:
  Hide contents

Excited to hear peppers. From what is possible to hear from the tagged shit, it sounds like a nice song to listen while giving the most nasty *******

Spoiler

yeah i rightfully predicted peppers to be the florida kilos of the album. again not “top 5” material but a whole bop :bop:

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

3 hours ago, Lanaparadiserey said:
  Hide contents

So…I want a VERY general answer (yes or no) with no specifics but over…is it good? Does it give magnum opus like we thought it would???  

Spoiler

Not being a great fan of the title track or A&W, I can say I like 'Fingertips,' 'The Grants,' and 'Sweet' more, especially the last two. Judging by just these 3 new songs far, it's not 'commercial' and the structures are not traditional. The 'stream of consciousness' of A&W continues. To me, 'Sweet' sounds the most like something off COCC or BB. Being a great fan of her voice, I wish her voice was mixed forward a lot more. Even on 'A&W,' obviously an official version of the song, for me, her voice is muffled. I assume this was by choice. 'The Grants' has some touching moments and a very unexpected beginning. 

Spoiler

"so you say there's a chance ... to us" makes me sob so hard for nothing , theres something in the way she says it :krylie::krylie::krylie::krylie:

tumblr_static_7g61u4n53vk0808w440k8gwoo.

*:・゚✧:・゚✧ i catch you on the flipside ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 

Yesterday just proved she made another timeless album. A creative, flourished and beautiful version of her newest sound while bringing back things we love from the very start of her career. DID YOU KNOW THERES A TUNNEL OCEAN BOULEVARD will be a highlight in her discography.

14 minutes ago, Harry Nilsson said:

good decision :true:

I think next time I won't listen to any pre-released singles

Reveal hidden contents

because the title track now sounds a bit worn out next to the other fresh songs :icant:

I haven’t listened to anything from the album and although it has been very hard I can tell it’s going to be worth it :oprah3: