Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

1 hour ago, Vertimus said:

A lot of members here talk a lot about 'album cohesion' and its importance to them, so I'm wondering how they feel about 'album cohesion' on OC.

Some of the songs fit together musically and/or thematically (especially the 'sweet' songs,' which I call the 'sweet suite'), while others only fit together thematically (like 'A&W' and 'Candy Necklace'). 'Fingertips' and 'Kintsugi' go well together because they have similar structures. 

Taken as a whole, though, I can't mesh 'LTLI' with 'A&W' in terms of mood, theme, or music, and certainly 'Margaret,' one of the sweet songs, and 'A&W' don't mesh, nor do 'Margaret' and 'Peppers.' 

'Paris, Texas,' perhaps suitably, is out there in the wilderness on its own. 

Since 'cohesion' or 'cohesiveness' are not important to me, I'm not personally bothered. How does everyone else feel? 

I’m someone who cares about cohesiveness, and I could honestly talk about this forever. I do actually think Ocean Blvd is cohesive. It’s not the kind of album where you immediately understand the ‘vibes’ and feel, but as you listen to it you realize that it as a whole really I cohesive. 

Yes, many songs are different from each other, which I think is actually good. An album should have diversity, it should be a ride. It shouldn’t sound like one long song. The beginning is a beautiful heart warming song, The Grants, which really sets the setting and some themes of the album — heaven/morals/religion, and family. Though I have to complain about the gospel singing in the beginning… It doesn’t fit the album imo, it would have been more impactful with the intro only. The grants is a good opener since it’s emotional and personal, but not directly sad. Then as it goes on to the title track, it goes a shade darker. Lana’s fears and inner demons, she wants people to like her for her. She’s afraid of being forgotten. But everyone sees her for everything but her, she is the very tunnel under ocean Blvd, which everyone has just forgotten. I’m sweet she’s a little fed up, ‘If you want some basic bitch’, if you can’t see her for who she is, her kindness and intellect (she’s sweet ya know) then that’s your problem not her. Indifference turns into anger in A&W, she brings up the societal witch hunt against women. She embodies the role, which  she has spent the last songs on the album describing, in the Jimmy part of A&W. She is the American whore. The whole Judah Smith interlude is amazing. To be frank I have not quite completely gone into the depth of his message, but he is discussing what Lana did in the earlier songs. How men are blinded by desire and superficial beauty, and forgets what’s underneath the surface of a woman. Beauty in thoughts, feelings, and intellect. Acceptance turns into sadness in Candy necklace. It’s so dark, and overall the album is dark and eerie, yet sweet. Candy Nevklace is probably my personal favorite, but it’s hard to choose. The Jon Batiste Interluse embodies the eerie feel of the album, it’s a good interlude! Kintsugi and fingertips both discuss family, loss, sadness. The sad themes continue. She shares what she never has before. Deep personal thoughts and experiences. The things people don’t know about her. People always make assumptions about her, yet there are so many things they ont know. She wants them to know. She begs them to see her. Paris Texas is such a gorgeous song. She has one last anecdote to share. She describes loneliness and a feeling of being lost. Family is a sense of belonging, yet she has a hard time feeling one.

She has said what was needed to be said now, and at this point of the album her heart feels a little less heavy in her heart. Grandfather is so beautiful. She doesn’t really care that superficial beauty is all people care about, it doesn’t invalidate her inner beauty. Themes of family are obviously presented. Let the light in speaks for itself. She describes in kintsugi how you have to let your heart crack and break in order to let the light in, to find happiness. She has let it crack, and light is pouring in. It is very lighthearted, and not very serious, which I think many of the last songs of the album are, she has already said what she needed to say.

Margaret is a lighthearted and simple song. Not my favorite, but it’s fun. Fishtail is unique in the sense that it’s unlike her other songs. And though it feels darker than the other last songs of the album, it’s a ‘you liked me better when I was sad, but I’m happy now.’ Peppers is a lighthearted bop. I love peppers. Taco truck x vb is also a bop. Both peppers and taco truck x vb are more ‘silly.’ Taco truck x vb explains that she understands that the media hates her, but it simply doesn’t matter to her anymore.

The album goes from heavy and dark to light and fun. I personally think the next album might embody the lighter and more carefree themes of the second half of the album.

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

24 minutes ago, Candy Necklace said:

Candy Necklace continues to be that song, elevated by an amazing video. 

EPIC SLAY

The concept

The deconstruction of pop culture glamour

The obvious shade at the music industry

The diamonds in blood

Lana's looks

The fashion!

The throwback to National Anthem and Born to Die glamour

The noir look and feel

The uber hotness of John Baptiste

How the teaser was already conceptual, when you think about it

The fashion!!! 

One of her top 10 if not 5 videos ever and her best since Don't Call Me Angel. Also, the best video of 2023 hands down.

I am dead ☠️

I AM FUCKING SPEECHLESS :crai:

THE COLLAPSE:trisha:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

What I love about this is how she sorta liberates herself from the promises that a lot of people mightve used to string her along. She used what she has on her own terms despite all the bad everyone might’ve hoped towards her, she chose to be herself and found/ made her own path

UV/Honeymoon

Lately, we’ve been makin’ out a lot

Not talkin’ ’bout the stuff that’s at the VERY HEART of things.. :trisha: I can't stop thinking about it, it's like the whole point of this album.

Sweet/A&W mood switch is so powerful :krylie:

The album is amazing but as for me the side A is god tire

22 minutes ago, Future Jazz said:

I have no words for how much I love the title track. I really have no words

My favorite song of hers since Mariners Apartment Complex

5 hours ago, bluedealer said:

Lately, we’ve been makin’ out a lot

Not talkin’ ’bout the stuff that’s at the VERY HEART of things.. :trisha: I can't stop thinking about it, it's like the whole point of this album.

Sweet/A&W mood switch is so powerful :krylie:

The album is amazing but as for me the side A is god tire

Same! I love all of it, but Side A is just phenomenal

fishtail would be really good if she chose someone else to produce it: the cheap beats, the autotune, and the rest of the instrumental for the most part are just not doing it for me. but i still love the lyrics so much and i think some of her vocals are really beautiful, especially when she sings “if you’re not coming home to me”

another part of this entire new album just reminds me so much of tropico. not just cus we got another mini film yeah for one song only but, i've been noticing the high importance of the theme of character in this album. and, the dropping of the shallow luxuries, and the numbing quality that it might have. 

refs to the beverly center, not being able to take anything w you but just memory, the pitfalls of candy necklaces (promises and letting urself be distracted/misled) and other things, in contrast to the simple, but very much profound of having a true friend, cherishing what you already have, and sending concern and warmth to those you love, and building and solidifying meaningful connections not for benefit etc. but bc you're compatible. and preserving yourself from the superficial and the headaches they might want to cause. 

from this perspective, and i know we all have different levels and backgrounds, but personally for me, this has always been something that i've put focus on in my own life, and thru her music earlier on too, it's always something that i've treasured and not taken for granted, so it's really heartwarming to be able to listen to this record and feel more in tune to this dimension and scope of life. 

when i think about it more, i'm sure more often than not, we're probably a lot more similar than different fundamentally, and getting back to what's important, at least for me, is always gonna be welcome. different experiences and levels of fun and exploration, but i just love how a personal core value(s) of mine have been highlighted thru this record and i know i say this every album, but i think it's just a part of myself that likes to explore and learn, and this record does that, and makes me feel less strange through it. 

UV/Honeymoon

6 hours ago, revadece said:

fishtail would be really good if she chose someone else to produce it: the cheap beats, the autotune, and the rest of the instrumental for the most part are just not doing it for me. but i still love the lyrics so much and i think some of her vocals are really beautiful, especially when she sings “if you’re not coming home to me”

I want to hate on Margaret for obvious reasons but Fishtail is such a letdown to me. I like it and all but its a bit too repetitive for me, plus one of the only standout lines from it "Ella Fitzgerald, yeah, feeling hella rare" sounds straight from a Taylor Swift song....

~    fantasia-seductive.gif ~

Somehow the Candy Necklace video feels like a short movie for the entire album because of the theme that are present in the album too and visuals that are similar to the photoshoots this era

F*cking love it so much

I do hope she has more in store for us because so many amazing songs deserve a video but if not, I'm now happier haha