one time beauty queen

Barbie (July 2023) dir. Greta Gerwig

How underwhelming :toofunny: I was really hoping it would be Kylie Minogue

Those summer nights seem long ago
And so is the girl you used to call
The queen of New York City

To be fair, I kinda expected the last surprise to be a male singer, based solely on the official post when the soundtrack was out: « more Kens and Barbies to come ». But knowing that Sam Smith identifies as non-binary, it kinda missed the mark there :tsk::delish:

My Colleen Ballinger soundtrack suggestion from the other day was better than this #justsaying

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

On 7/9/2023 at 7:47 PM, Orville Peck said:

wtf :rip::toofunny:

I don't mind that they're on the barbie movie despite how much I hate them and their stupid-ass music. What I do mind is how much hype was around it, did they really have to hide their track? They could've hidden the Ice Spice and Nicki collab instead.

Last.FM

WARNING !! MINOR SPOILERS

So I just saw the movie, and I'm having some mixed feelings about it. :teehee: First of all, Margot Robbie did a fantastic job, she brought such emotional weight to the story and she served, every single second that she was on screen. All the actors did good. Shout out to Michael Cera! I found his Alan so endearing, he's one of the gorls and I can see this movie reviving interest in the character (in terms of toy demand). The writing in the movie was very self-aware, even breaking the fourth wall to address that we're watching a movie starring Margot Robbie, and it was camp. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it was a little cringe. All-in-all it was a fun movie, instant classic.

The soundtrack worked a lot better than expected. The context of the Lizzo track is so goofy, it's basically played-straight narration to Barbie's morning routine, with very literal lyrics saying exactly what's happening on-screen. I don't think they actually used Ava Max or Dominic Fike? If they did, it was either instrumental backing music or end credit stuff I missed. But they played a huge chunk of Speed Drive twice in a row and it served. The two "Best Weekend Ever Edition" bonus tracks have a larger presence in the film than a majority of the standard tracks. Barbie World is an end credits song, so you don't have to hear it for long if you don't want to.

As someone who cares too much about random lore, I hate hate HATE what they did with the subjects of Midge and the inception of Barbie. They reduced Midge to a running gag, calling her the bad pregnant doll that was discontinued for being *weird*, which is untrue and also minimizes her role in Barbie history. She only appears for brief intervals so they can make fun of her existence, and they completely ignore that Alan's the father & husband despite his prominence in the film. I also HATE how they put Ruth Handler on a pedestal, praising her as the inventor of the first ever fashion doll. This isn't true. Ruth saw children in Germany playing with a doll known as Bild Lilli, and she stole the design with no authorization or credit in regards to the original inventor. Ruth did not invent fashion dolls, she just brought them to the US, and the film does revisionist history to pretend that's not the case.

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

The Sam Smith song wasn't bad actually; I've been a hater in the past but it worked, it was palatable, it fit the vibe, it wasn't trying to "serve" or anything like that, it was a cute 80s-esque soundtrack moment in the film :P still dumb that Sam was the final surprise artist in the album rollout, I personally would've made Ryan Gosling's musical outbursts the final secret but idk

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

19 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

I won’t be watching until it’s out on streaming,  I’m not really big on these over hyped films. I’m quite frankly sick of hearing about it. 

i enjoyed the film but it doesn't need to be seen in the cinemas... drunk teen girls talking loudly, mothers of 13 year olds gasping whenever there's a sexual innuendo or swearing (at one point the word motherfucker was said censored and that SHOOK them), it is a packed movie so hard to get good seats and cinemas just became so overpriced... like 25 dollars for a ticket, popcorn and bottled water? :deadbanana: i was seated day 1 for MARGALLAH ROBBIE but there's no plot twist or anything to be spoiled about this movie to need an early watch, just enjoy it from the comfort of your home for free whenever you can xoxo