evalionisameme

Artists caught lying about songwriting credits

1 hour ago, evalionisameme said:

There’s a fight going on between madison love and Ava max currently with these credits being suggested that Ava writes very little.

Alone, Pt 2 - 5%

the fact we have specific percentages of who wrote what words is alarming :barrie:

54 minutes ago, Honeytrails said:

same... it's why I don't really like a lot of mainstream artists (other than a few songs obviously pop music is fun) but it just seems so unauthentic and manufactured and soulless... the only mainstream artist I can get behind is Mariah Carey and it's cause she writes her stuff and you can tell she does... it isn't just her name smashed between 8 other songwriters in the credits 

mariah not only has the flex of having the most #1 hits out of any artist (19 hits), but also being the writer of all of those :makeup:

and on top of being an excellent songwriter she is also one of the greatest vocalists of all time

i can’t imagine having that much talent :defeated:

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

i'm just gonna leave this message from the GOAT whitney here:

lyrics without a voice singing them are worthless. there's a reason why we hear about beyoncé, rihanna and ariana grande and not about rich harrison, ester dean or tommy brown. there's a reason why lana has this very website dedicated to her and we're not on rickboards, jackboards or emileboards. bc she's the star, not them. and so is beyoncé, rihanna, ariana, etc. there's so much more to being a star than songwriting, and that's where the REAL talent lies. a song is nothing without an entrepreneur to do it justice. star quality babes, something no songwriting skills can buy. and, of course, VOCAL talent which is, essentially, what being a singer is. i rest my case :teehee:

Also not completely the same but it annoys me so much when singers like Ariana will partially write the lyrics to an already complete song, or change some lyrics to a demo, and claim they wrote it. 

Like anyone could do that I fear? It’s not really a feat, but twitter stans will obsess over it. 

Side note but in recent years, Bey has been pretty great at crediting (hence why she has dozens of writers on each song) so I’m not mad about her earlier mishaps..

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

4 minutes ago, iamjocelyn said:

lyrics without a voice singing them are worthless. there's a reason why we hear about beyoncé, rihanna and ariana grande and not about rich harrison, ester dean or tommy brown. there's a reason why lana has this very website dedicated to her and we're not on rickboards, jackboards or emileboards. bc she's the star, not them. and so is beyoncé, rihanna, ariana, etc. there's so much more to being a star than songwriting, and that's where the REAL talent lies. a song is nothing without an entrepreneur to do it justice. star quality babes, something no songwriting skills can buy. and, of course, VOCAL talent which is, essentially, what being a singer is. i rest my case :teehee:

right.. which is why theres no reason to lie about it if you wrote like 1% of the song. idk ab yall but i'd be pissed off if i wrote the majority of a song, especially a hit, and didnt get any credit for it :true:

I bet she's so lucky Untitled-video-Made-with-Clipchamp.gif to have a voice like that

last.fm

1 hour ago, iamjocelyn said:

there’s no “rickboards jackboards emileboards” because LANA is the writer of her songs :biblio: and taylor is currently the biggest pop star and she writes everything including her biggest hits….

and yea of course you don’t have to be a writer to be a star, i don’t think anyone was saying that, just our personal preference for artists is they write their music. 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

I always appreciate writers and singers more than just singers. Beyonce, Rihanna, Ariana or Mariah can definitely sing but it's more about interpretation than actual connection to the song. Imagine Ariana singing Pink Champagne :creep:  and getting credits for some 'yuh' 

I feel like artists' poetry books demonstrate to the populace that they actually write their own shit (whether the artist consciously intends this or not)

Like there is no doubt that Lana and Florence write their own shit because you can tell how they write from their poetry books

1. Does the absence of a poetry book therefore imply that one does not write their own shit :oic2:, and 2. how long before someone writes someone else's shit in their own handwriting, puts it in a poetry book and it is then disputed

Lastly, imagine a Sky Ferreira poetry book

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

titanic sinclair stating he wrote every single song of the mars argo project AFTER the breakup and disband despite there being literal video and audio evidence of him saying mars wrote songs

You listen to singers I listen to artists... There's no artistry involved in picking demos and singing on top of them. You can be the greatest singer out there but if all your music sounds soulless, manufactured and formulated for a hit then your simply put a boring musician. 

obviously there's room in the industry for everybody... it would be unrealistic to expect every singer to be a genius songwriter who can craft intricate masterpieces from scratch and to write masterful, intriguing lyrics... but i believe singers/musicians who do write their own music have more artistic merit, there's a difference between somebody who put their own creativity and soul into a song and somebody who sings over a demo created by somebody who actually has the skill to craft a song... i'm not saying artists who simply sing over demos have no talent or creativity, but let's not act like they're on the same level artistically as people who actually put in the effort to compose and write their music lol

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

Oh shut the….And star power without a good song is worthless. We would never hear about Beyonce, rihanna or ariana if they had to write their own songs. Their stardom is a result of hits written by talented songwriters. It takes both. Perhaps we don’t hear about songwriters cuz they are massively undervalued, case in point this very thread. And your comment

3 hours ago, cherrytropico said:

there’s no “rickboards jackboards emileboards” because LANA is the writer of her songs :biblio: and taylor is currently the biggest pop star and she writes everything including her biggest hits….

and yea of course you don’t have to be a writer to be a star, i don’t think anyone was saying that, just our personal preference for artists is they write their music. 

Difference is that Taylor’s music sucks.

There's nothing wrong with not being a songwriter. Reba is very open about not being one and having zero interest in doing so, and she is an american icon and legend. We love our singers. Just don't lie lol. 

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

Future Queen of Pop made some points:

On a serious note... I disagree with people who say singers who don't write (all of) their own music are less of an artist than, say, Taylor Swift who I personally think is very overrated as a writer, but that's a different discussion. Art comes in many forms and shapes, and in my opinion, someone like Beyoncé curating an album out of all the songs her A&R presents to her, recording her flawless vocals that are leagues above any of those songwriters, and ultimately creating one cohesive body of work out of them that really can be admired and enjoyed as one big whole rather than just a collection of songs – I don't think there's anything wrong with that? In fact, I would argue that no other artist out there would be capable of making Renaissance. And yet, when Renaissance came out, people ridiculed Bey for crediting every co-songwriter, every sample, every voice memo that she used on it, which obviously led to dozens of different writers in the credits. (Not gonna comment on the earlier Beyoncé cases because I honestly don't know enough about them.)

This being said, I do hate it when artists contribute very little or only change a few words and still act like they wrote the whole thing. I don't get where this obsession with artists having to write everything themselves comes from? I mean, did the fact that she didn't write her own music make Whitney Houston any less of a legend? No! Similarly (because he's an artist I know a lot about and thus can actually comment on), Troye Sivan was very open about the fact that Rush was presented to him in almost finished form and he then only re-wrote the verses and the bridge, and yet his performance made that song 100 % his own.

If we're gonna expect every artist to be a prolific solo writer, an amazing vocalist and a competent live performer, then I'm afraid there's not gonna be any artists left that actually fit that criteria. 

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

11 hours ago, bluedealer said:

I always appreciate writers and singers more than just singers. Beyonce, Rihanna, Ariana or Mariah can definitely sing but it's more about interpretation than actual connection to the song. Imagine Ariana singing Pink Champagne :creep:  and getting credits for some 'yuh' 

Mariah is a songwriter though.

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF