Sitar

Random Lana Discussion Thread

I think she’s kinda lost her spark tbh. Her other albums are so unique and powerful. No one but Lana Del Rey could make an album like Ultraviolence, for example.

Meanwhile NFR was just so plain, generic. Tbh I find it boring. I understand she’s matured and it would ridiculous to expect her to just do one thing her whole career. She was a troubled young woman during her early career and her music reflected that, now she’s calmed down a lot, and the music reflects that too.

BUT that doesn’t mean you can never make an exciting song again, Lana. The music used to literally give people goosebumps, it was so raw and lush and out there. Now it just sounds filler on an album made by any other alternative/country artist.

hopefully her “I just want one piano and ukele to make this entire album” phase is over and she can go back to being a musical beast again.

In what world NFR! is generic

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

I feel like some people confuse maturity, or lyrical maturity, with watering down content and just more generic/tame lyrics. There were cringy lyrics on all her albums, 'NFR!' was not exception to that, but 'NFR!' did lack that spark or oomph. Just kinda plain or beige.

yeah I mean production wise, NFR was missing the heat that her other works provided.

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

Omg guys!!! Ivanka Trump is featured on this album!! WTF?!

ThE sOng has leek*d:

This is actually sad and lowkey give me Lana vibes

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Omg guys!!! Ivanka Trump is featured on this album!! WTF?!

ThE sOng has leek*d:

This is actually sad and lowkey give me Lana vibes

the melody actually slaps. 

(also Ivanka needs to stop with the green contacts, she looks like one of the lizard people--i'm sure she could afford higher quality contacts)

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

Hey, i don't know if you've already talked about this around the time Ultraviolence came out. I didn't know about this website yet. I've been listening to The Doors last couple of weeks (knew them by name but never listened), absolutely love them, and been learning a lot about who Jim Morrison was. So, as i was learning about him, Lana kept coming to my mind. I know he is one of her biggest influences, but i'm starting to think he is THE influence. I know and listen to Lana since 2012, and i know she writes a little autobiographically and a little fiction. And i've always, ALWAYS wonder who tf was the one she sings about. When Ultraviolence, the song, came out, i was all like MAN WHO THE FUCK IS JIM. Just drop a surname or whatever. And i know there is a theory about this song being about booze and addiction. But i really think she is fantasizing with Morrison. Or maybe being in Pam's skin and talking about their story. Or maybe about both- Jim and alcohol. Jim was an alcoholic too. But then Freak. I think she chose Father John Misty because he looks just like Jim. So FJM plays Jim in Freak's video. And i think Jim is there aaaall the time, present in her work. I don't know where else he could be. Maybe Heroin. And maybe a lot of the times she sings about love, he is there, even a little. So, since i discovered all of this i feel like i closed something. This all made sense to me. I mean, maybe she doesn't sing about him anymore, but at some point -and maybe in her darkest times- i think he was really a big impossible love of hers, a comfort, and her platonic. And maybe she searched for him in real life too, while dreaming about him in her work. Idk just a theory.

tumblr_pdttwcdZss1v75vie_500.png

Hey, i don't know if you've already talked about this around the time Ultraviolence came out. I didn't know about this website yet. I've been listening to The Doors last couple of weeks (knew them by name but never listened), absolutely love them, and been learning a lot about who Jim Morrison was. So, as i was learning about him, Lana kept coming to my mind. I know he is one of her biggest influences, but i'm starting to think he is THE influence. I know and listen to Lana since 2012, and i know she writes a little autobiographically and a little fiction. And i've always, ALWAYS wonder who tf was the one she sings about. When Ultraviolence, the song, came out, i was all like MAN WHO THE FUCK IS JIM. Just drop a surname or whatever. And i know there is a theory about this song being about booze and addiction. But i really think she is fantasizing with Morrison. Or maybe being in Pam's skin and talking about their story. Or maybe about both- Jim and alcohol. Jim was an alcoholic too. But then Freak. I think she chose Father John Misty because he looks just like Jim. So FJM plays Jim in Freak's video. And i think Jim is there aaaall the time, present in her work. I don't know where else he could be. Maybe Heroin. And maybe a lot of the times she sings about love, he is there, even a little. So, since i discovered all of this i feel like i closed something. This all made sense to me. I mean, maybe she doesn't sing about him anymore, but at some point -and maybe in her darkest times- i think he was really a big impossible love of hers, a comfort, and her platonic. And maybe she searched for him in real life too, while dreaming about him in her work. Idk just a theory.

I think that I've read somewhere that in the Ultraviolence video she was portraying Pamela, but can't truly remind where I did... Anyway, yes, the lyrics and the narrative behind that song -and many more of them- could easily relate to Morrison's profile. Nevertheless, I think she's gone through violent and abusive relationships herself, maybe that's why she has shown herself to be so connected to what Jim Morrison represented..

I can't believe how many of you don't like NFR... it's literally her best work lmao 

like Ultraviolence was a mood in 2014 when you were 19 and though doing cocaine with a toxic white man was true love 

I would LOVEEE for Lana to cover this track. It’s so heart wrenching and powerful I could hear her voice at this moment singing the lyrics. Also, can we acknowledge Wait For Life as her most underrated track? It evokes so many emotions for me personally and I would enjoy it to be my funeral song.

You know Frusciante's cover of this (it's a Buckley's song, anyway)? Have always thought that Lana covering the song would be a dream.

i'm excited but she needs to stop talking so much in her songs over boring instrumentations and whiny ad libs and harmonies in every (other) song or else she'll end up making "me i am mariah.. the elusive chanteuse (explanation video) New Album 5/27" on album length 

i76mrxw.png 

I don't understand why some people think Bartender is witchy. Just because a few lyrics? I make witchy playlists all the time and bartender would be one of the last Lana songs I'd put on there. It's a sweet song but that's about it. I don't hear desperation or authenticity (I mean, she was visiting homophobic churches at the time) or even good story telling, the way the verses have nothing to do with the chorus (that's my problem with HIAB too).

But if you're looking for a beautiful witchy song that bartender was trying to be, there is Ghosts of Lover's Past by Honey Gentry  :flutter:

I don't understand why some people think Bartender is witchy. Just because a few lyrics? I make witchy playlists all the time and bartender would be one of the last Lana songs I'd put on there. It's a sweet song but that's about it. I don't hear desperation or authenticity or even good story telling, the way the verses have nothing to do with the chorus (that's my problem with HIAB too).

But if you're looking for a beautiful witchy song that bartender was trying to be, there is Ghosts of Lover's Past by Honey Gentry :flutter:

Personally, what I find “witchy” about the song is the chorus and the haunting piano kinda reminds me of the Magic Castle (a hotel in Hollywood, Houdini lived there) because the two ghosts people see most often there are a bartender cleaning tables and a woman playing piano that is also often heard distantly. So that with the “ladies of the canyon” verses always left a haunting magical feeling to it. Like she spends her days doing frivolous magic with her girls but at night she goes off to the Magic Castle to hang out alone with these ghosts. It kinda seems all sad and solitary like no one understands her like the ghosts do. I know that’s not what everyone else sees in it but to me it’s like a secondary storyline. But I guess that would more be paranormal than witchy. Also I understand that it’s a completely imagined storyline I added to the song lol.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688