Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

4 hours ago, Lustformoney said:

i hate Happiness with my whole heart, its such a flop, i just cant handle this song

Same. I cringe the most at the lyrics but it's also boring sonically. Those lyrics are emo middle school girl's diary-tier.

If he's a serial killer then what can happen to a girl who's already huuuurt

I can't even handle the chorus; it's really cringey and obnoxious to my ears. 

It kills me that people say that NFR is her best album.
I don't understand the hype around this record, it's good but clearly impersonal when you know Lana's deep work.
An artist always has to get smooth for critics to approve of their work and that's sad. To my taste Ultraviolence was much more successful and more consistent visually and musically, Born to die also with baroque pop and warm visuals. These two records alone represent the career of this girl.

I would be clearly disappointed if Chemtrails ... Club goes in that direction. Jack Antonoff really has to stop working with her, he doesn't know how to capture her world and makes it a mountain of waste.

anyways, groupie love remains my ultimate comfort song. Anyone who does not like that song is weird 

also this thread becoming a nfr hate circle jerk again 

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

53 minutes ago, Lemonade Tea said:

Same. I cringe the most at the lyrics but it's also boring sonically. Those lyrics are emo middle school girl's diary-tier.

If he's a serial killer then what can happen to a girl who's already huuuurt

I can't even handle the chorus; it's really cringey and obnoxious to my ears. 

I thought you were talking about ‘Is This Happiness?’ for a sec and my fight or flight response was triggered

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

2 hours ago, MAX DEL REY said:

Might sound like I'm going to pick and chose, but to me 'NFR' has probably the corniest lyrics on any Lana albums. Like I said in a previous post, I absolutely dislike the opening line of that album "Goddamn man-chil, you fucked me so good that I almost said I love you". Or in 'MAC', the way she sings "Don't look to far, right where you are, that's where I am" idk just the way she sings it doesn't sound melodic at all. In 'Love song' "we go fast, we go fast, we don't move". 'Fuck it I luh you'... enough said. 'HIAB', she's cute, but lyrically it feels like she mashed three songs together and called it a day. 'hiadtfawlmth-bihi', I know some of you look at this song as being some sort of career highlight for Lana, but I absolutely dislike the lyrics "I was reading Slim Aarons and I got to think that I thought".

I feel like compared to her other albums' lyrics, 'NFR' feels the most normal and less speculative, more grounded in reality and not in her so called 'cinematic'/Lana universe. 

Anyway, I guess all of that is up for personal interpretation or appreciation. But I don't see 'NFR' as being more mature than any other of her albums, I see the album as being lyrically palatable, more conventional in terms of songwriting and less shocking than what she has released prior. You can already tell by the snippet we heard last week, that, at least with the title track, Lana is back into a more mysterious/fantasized writing style.

NFR, as with any of Lana’s records, contains its fair share undeveloped songwriting, but I don’t think that writing that is accessible, less shocking, and/or cinematic is indicative of poor lyricism as much as a matter of personal preference (if that makes any sense). 

My appeal to NFR’s songwriting (especially in tracks like hope, The greatest, MAC) largely stems from how purposeful she utilizes her references, analogies, and sensory details. Not only that, but she also maintains a sense of intimacy even when she’s drawing from a pool of extremely specific life experiences; the line, “Serving up god in a burnt coffee pot for the triad,” is a great instance of this. 

Again, I totally agree that NFR has plenty moments where the writing is cliched or lacking in nuance, but the same could also be said for her other records as well. However, I’d argue that many of NFR’s most mature lyrical moments show a clear progression from the most developed of her past records, but that’s just me

also can’t figure out how to remove the spoiler so just ignore her lol

Spoiler

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

i am once again reminding this thread that if you don't like NFR it's simply because you haven't had your NFR dedicated emotional break down yet

Anyway. I'll admit that NFR has some very corny and cringe lyrics. I've never been a fan of the "if he's a serial killer then whats the worse that could happen to a girl whos already hurt", but let's be honest, all of her album has cringe moments on it. but at the end of the day they're still enjoyable albums as long as you don't take everything so seriously 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

2 minutes ago, LemonadeHeavens said:

love is kinda boring :pout:

It’s such a cute and cinematic-sounding song, but I find myself rarely listening to it because it does very little for me. It’s mostly a personal preference for me, but I 100% agree lol

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

1 minute ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

It’s such a cute and cinematic-sounding song, but I find myself rarely listening to it because it does very little for me. It’s mostly a personal preference for me, but I 100% agree lol

i definitely think it's cute and heart-felt, but i feel like she has plenty of other heart-felt, emotional material that is more impactful to me, i don't have anything against it personally but it's not her most stand-out cute, heart-felt track

WGe8ynS.gif

2 minutes ago, sexyslutboy said:

i am once again reminding this thread that if you don't like NFR it's simply because you haven't had your NFR dedicated emotional break down yet

This is how I feel about Ultraviolence, too! I cannot explain how earth-shattering it was when the record finally clicked. For me, my pre-req for delving into UV was anguish & NFR’s was healing from it lmao

Sylvia Plath 

i don't get why people say it upsets them when other people say NFR is lana's best, it's just personal taste  :toofunny:

it's hard for me to say which album is my favorite cause i like them all for different reasons but personally i relate to NFR the most as the lyrics are so raw and i guess the most realistic in a way? most lana songs from BTD-HM paint this dramatic picture of a relationship straight out of like a godfather movie, which i love her storytelling and the cinematic feeling of those songs but it can sometimes be so over the top and dramatic that you can't even feel comforted by it.

i love you, but you don't understand me.

'NFR' just feels like the least Lana Del Rey-esque of her albums, like it could've been done by almost every indie girlies. Like @Enchanted Mansion said, it feels impersonal. There are good parts in there, some not so good. It feels somewhat watered down at times and there is literally nothing cinematic about the album, which is sad, but it's an artistic choice she had every right to make. But it's just not the boundary pushing, uniquely Lana album I have come to expect at every release. It's cute, light and background music at a coffee shop-ish to me.

I so hope 'Chemtrails' doesn't suffer the same sucky fate. That's my unpopular opinion on it. That is all. :)

12 minutes ago, new gods said:

i don't get why people say it upsets them when other people say NFR is lana's best, it's just personal taste  :toofunny:

it's hard for me to say which album is my favorite cause i like them all for different reasons but personally i relate to NFR the most as the lyrics are so raw and i guess the most realistic in a way? most lana songs from BTD-HM paint this dramatic picture of a relationship straight out of like a godfather movie, which i love her storytelling and the cinematic feeling of those songs but it can sometimes be so over the top and dramatic that you can't even feel comforted by it.

I feel like it also says a lot about Lana’s life too! I can imagine she’s had a life that has posed a lot of challenges and so her first few records were her working through those things - and she even said she wasn’t necessarily happy with her story up until a certain point in the LFL era; she was just chronicling things as they were. 

I love all of Lana’s records so much but I definitely find myself resonating with her newer records as she puts them out because I personally find that I move with her. I think Lana has definitely implied that she’s in a much lighter place than she was when writing her first four  records so of course the way her life is at a given moment will translate into her records - hence, the more “natural” presentation of NFR.

I’m grateful for all her albums and love the journey she’s taken us on but I’m also happy that she’s expressed being in an overall more casual place where she can feel even more free to do what she wants (even though she kind of always did)!

2 hours ago, Enchanted Mansion said:

It kills me that people say that NFR is her best album.
I don't understand the hype around this record, it's good but clearly impersonal when you know Lana's deep work.
An artist always has to get smooth for critics to approve of their work and that's sad. To my taste Ultraviolence was much more successful and more consistent visually and musically, Born to die also with baroque pop and warm visuals. These two records alone represent the career of this girl.

I would be clearly disappointed if Chemtrails ... Club goes in that direction. Jack Antonoff really has to stop working with her, he doesn't know how to capture her world and makes it a mountain of waste.

Could not agree more. 

22 minutes ago, new gods said:

honestly yeah, I literally don't understand why it feels like I have to go through hoops on here to explain to others why I like this album (especially when it seems like the majority of LB users heavily dislike it when outsiders criticize Lana in any other way) :toofunny: I get not liking it but calling people tasteless or whatever for liking it feels so weird when personal opinions, emotions, etc obviously exist 

and I basically said this on the NFR thread, but I agree that the simplicity of NFR's lyrics make the album more relatable to me. Of course I love all her albums but her earlier works had a lot more of these Lana-isms and an over the top nature that I can appreciate and enjoy but definitely relate less with. 

sgopYhV.gif

This has been mentioned by someone else on LB and I agree - that the reason her music is becoming so much less cinematic and interesting is because she's out of things to write about. In an interview she mentioned BTD basically paying homage to her younger years,  UV and HM are chronicling her toxic dating proclivities and life style choices as well. We can see her running out of things to write about on LFL when she starts to dip her toes into political music.

This is all pretty natural, she's getting older, maturing, and is probably more or less choosing healthier options in life, and is enjoying more stability. Hopefully COCC will be more visually interesting than NFR though

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

2 minutes ago, new gods said:

i don't get it when people say it upsets them when other people say NFR is lana's best like it's just personal taste  :toofunny:

it's hard for me to say which album is my favorite cause i like them all for different reasons but personally i relate to NFR the most as the lyrics are so raw and i guess the most realistic in a way? most lana songs from BTD-HM paint this dramatic picture of a relationship straight out of like a godfather movie, which i love her storytelling and the cinematic feeling of those songs but it can sometimes be so over the top and dramatic that you can't even feel comforted by it 

It's the same reason why I love Lana's work during the May Jailer era. The production maybe simple and the instrumentals repetitive but I love the writing on it and it's rawness. It's simple yet beautiful and interesting. The melodies really help as well. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's a good way to delve in Lana's world before "fame". 

-Homeland of the Gods-