Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

I hate it when you all turn into managers. Realistically I don't care about the success of the album as long as I like it.

I get what you mean, and honestly, as a listener, I don’t care at all about the album’s success when it comes to my enjoyment of it. Even the cover and photo shoots for magazine can be cute bonuses, but the promo visuals honestly don’t matter much for me (the interviews might be the best part if done correctly).But we can’t deny the fact that she is involved with the music industry, which has certain politics that can help understand some of the choices she « makes ». Not that we agree with them.

the thing about surprise releases is that i feel it's less about, sayyyy, how much financial power an artist has or even how big their fanbase is - i think it has a lot more to do with how socially acceptable it is to like an artist and their ability to be trendy and talked about universally.

frank ocean, for example, dropped a surprise release and everyone talked about it and it worked bc he as an artist is well liked, considered "cool" and has that ~aloof~ vibe, his fanbase demographic is MASSIVE and diverse, and he's a fave on twitter and IG, even if his numbers don't match that of someone like Lana. if Megan thee Stallion, who is social media's current favourite girl (she's earned that dont get me wrong!) surprise dropped an album tonight, it would be ALLLL YOU SAW on twitter and IG bc she's a social media darling and to *not* listen to her or like her music is almost shocking in a way, so the majority of people would feel compelled to listen to her album even if they've never listened to her stuff before simply out of FOMO, a desire to join in w/ trends and an urge to see what all the fuss is about.

Beyonce is obviously a massive artist but again, the case is it's more shocking NOT to be a fan of her than to be a fan of her.

being a loud and proud Lana stan isn't hugely socially acceptable tbh - it's not considered weird, but it's not considered cool either. despite all her success, talent and critical acclaim, i'm not sure a surprise release would generate a big amount of buzz outside of her more intense fanbase really. i can see, like, a straight 25 year old dude from London checking out a surprise Meg album or Frank album or Beyonce album if he sees someone on his twitter timeline gushing over it - but i can't quite see that same dude checking out a surprise LDR album if he sees someone he follows gushing over it, and i find it even less likely he'd then go on to tweet about it himself and ask his group chat about it. you know what i mean? she's not universally loved online imo, especially not after Culture-Gate.

Bravo! This is very well put! And very interesting. I had never thought of it like that! Thanks!

I hate it when you all turn into managers. Realistically I don't care about the success of the album as long as I like it.

You're right but I guess it's our internet age. It's Sunday morning, almost 11:00 and I'm wearing yesterdays shirt trying to muster the energy to take a shower. Yet I still believe I know what's best for Lana!

We all have our delusions I guess.

Tesla Jesus?

I don't know which I'd hate more, a song about Elon Musk or a song about Seany

Wait a song with Grimes would actually slap though

You dumb dumbs... Tulsa Jesus freak IS white hot forever

The title probably comes from when she was in Tulsa with Sean and she didn't get with him until she had already mentioned the title White Hot Forever. I guess she could have rewritten parts though

i've seen people complain about the lack of snippets and spoilers in this era but personally i'm glad for it, they just water down the excitement and first-time listening experience (HIAB was the worst, i genuinely thought it was gonna be a 9 mins track considering how long the snippets were  :crossed: ) 

same :lmao: i legit thought it was a 7 min, venice bitched track

What I would really like is a validated release date. Validated by the record company and real promos that just say new album from LDR to be released on xx/xx/xxxx. No snippets or early releases just a count down to the release date. That would be exciting. As it is we can't depend on Lana's version of things and I don't want to see clips of her making cage free scrambled eggs while singing 30 seconds of a new song while a cat howls in the background.

thank you. this is my exact sentiment.

also I'm honestly over Lana always throwing random dates for her projects (Ultraviolence out on May 1st). of the hundreds of artists I follow she is the only one that does that.

the thing about surprise releases is that i feel it's less about, sayyyy, how much financial power an artist has or even how big their fanbase is - i think it has a lot more to do with how socially acceptable it is to like an artist and their ability to be trendy and talked about universally.

frank ocean, for example, dropped a surprise release and everyone talked about it and it worked bc he as an artist is well liked, considered "cool" and has that ~aloof~ vibe, his fanbase demographic is MASSIVE and diverse, and he's a fave on twitter and IG, even if his numbers don't match that of someone like Lana. if Megan thee Stallion, who is social media's current favourite girl (she's earned that dont get me wrong!) surprise dropped an album tonight, it would be ALLLL YOU SAW on twitter and IG bc she's a social media darling and to *not* listen to her or like her music is almost shocking in a way, so the majority of people would feel compelled to listen to her album even if they've never listened to her stuff before simply out of FOMO, a desire to join in w/ trends and an urge to see what all the fuss is about.

Beyonce is obviously a massive artist but again, the case is it's more shocking NOT to be a fan of her than to be a fan of her.

being a loud and proud Lana stan isn't hugely socially acceptable tbh - it's not considered weird, but it's not considered cool either. despite all her success, talent and critical acclaim, i'm not sure a surprise release would generate a big amount of buzz outside of her more intense fanbase really. i can see, like, a straight 25 year old dude from London checking out a surprise Meg album or Frank album or Beyonce album if he sees someone on his twitter timeline gushing over it - but i can't quite see that same dude checking out a surprise LDR album if he sees someone he follows gushing over it, and i find it even less likely he'd then go on to tweet about it himself and ask his group chat about it. you know what i mean? she's not universally loved online imo, especially not after Culture-Gate.

I kind of agree, but please don't forget the hype NFR has gotten across all demographics. Sooo many straight guys listened to it and loved it, it was in so many "best albums of the year" (I think even decade?) lists and it has been more popular on social media than any of her albums before. Last year it was cool to be an NFR fan. I think that album has actually helped her get recognized in other than her normal demographics, even though her older albums are still often dismissed as "boring". I truly believe that hype could carry on to COCC and many people outside the fanbase will be excited to hear it, but maybe the Question for the Culture made her uncool again, so you could still be right in the end. I guess we'll see in (hopefully) a month.

White hot forever is an ugly title and she really dodged a bullet when she replaced it both times

It's so beautiful imo, it would have been my favourite album title of hers. On an instagram poll 70% liked WHF better btw. I think it immediately gives you a feel for the album, whereas when I first heard Chemtrails Over the Country Club I rlly didn't have any clue at all what to expect.

I am so happy that Lana didn't tease COCC music this time around. I love how she is going about this. NFR was legitimate torture hearing music basically a year before release. I actually hope it is a surprise release!!!

Imagine listening to new Lana music for the first time, without knowing what to expect AT ALL. amazing

It’s definitely somewhat of a creepy title when you really think about it. Definitely ominous as the person above said. As if there’s something sinister coming from above for the careless people down below.

The very strong imagery the title alone projects is why I have high hopes for the visuals of surrounding this album. Lana has always been just as interesting to see as she has been to hear, so hopefully we get really freaky stuff to look at.

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me