Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

16 minutes ago, Thunder Revenant said:

Can't stand all the BB slander, especially cause I feel like most of the critique isn't even really about the album itself

Or maybe, wild guess, it’s about the tons of corny lyrics, awful mixing, messy production, the chunk of lazy outtakes and the list goes on. But it sure is funny how some people love to convince themselves that it’s a perfect album with nothing to criticize:eek2:  

7 minutes ago, Thunder Revenant said:

You mean CoCC?

no ?

the way everyone is praising NFR & COCC and shitting on BB while i thought BB was the best album since LFL (which i also love) :awkney:

top 5 (in no particular order):
- blue banisters
- black bathing suit
- violets for roses
- wildflower wildfire
- cherry blossom (if we pretend she released the lossless mix)

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

8 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

Or maybe, wild guess, it’s about the tons of corny lyrics, awful mixing, messy production, the chunk of lazy outtakes and the list goes on. But it sure is funny how some people love to convince themselves that it’s a perfect album with nothing to criticize:eek2:  

The way you just described NFR

5 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

With time I actually started liking this album even less than I already did! BBS, Thunder and Dealer are still discography highlights tho.

see this is what i was talking about like i loved the album when it came out and preferred it over cocc by a LOT but after 1 year… yeah i’d prefer listening to nothing than having to sit through the whole album again :rip:

2 minutes ago, West Coast said:

The way you just described NFR

that one too but we knew that already :shh2:

in my opinion yes this album was a bit rushed, but that's the whole point of it, she released it because she felt she NEEDED to and she already knew what she needed to say and wanted others to hear it

Spoiler

she needed to release something that would express her story especially after QFTC and chemtrails didn't do it for her. she released the triple singles because they each reveal a very personal part of her and are extremely important within the broader story of BB. i feel like BB was never meant to be a long, fleshed-out, big budget era, it was meant to be a story, a piece of her life, and she wanted to share it with everyone as soon as she could. hence it being the first album "not made for herself, but for the critics" – she didn't want or need to spend as long with the artistic expression because she knew what she wanted and wanted others to experience it in its purest simplest form. she didn't pull unreleased just because she's lazy, she put them on because to her they are songs integral to her story/the story of BB. and honestly i think the "low budget" aspects – the single covers, the "homemade" videos, the minimal promotion – were all intentional and in theme with the album. it's more personal, more organic, more homemade and from the heart, hence the simplicity of it all. 

and i'm not talking about lyrics/production at all, that's a completely different thing... and i get not liking BB, i'm not saying that's a bad opinion. i get preferring an "era" or bigger-budget album over something quicker and simpler. but it was made that way on purpose and the intention of it is very different from her other work

sUcVobB.png

Top 5:

1. Black Bathing Suit

2. Dealer

3. Thunder

4. Nectar of the Gods

5. Living Legend

I also really love Cherry Blossom and IYLDWM (even tho IYLDWM’s mixing is shit and Cherry Blossom’s an unfinished demo). Those UV scraps take me out of the album experience and should not be on there, but they are very excellent songs tbh. I don’t really care that much for the rest of the album other than maybe Text Book. BBS’s the only BB song recorded after 2017 that I think is truly excellent. I’ve said this before but BB has very high highs, but as a whole it’s my least favorite LDR album.

qfrWuBl.png

Top 5 :

Thunder 

Black Bathing Suit

If You Lie Down With Me

Text Book 

Wildflower Wildfire 

Also I really love Dealer , Cherry Blossom & Living Legend:flutter: 

Nectar Of The Gods has a really special place in my heart since it was always a fave of mine since it leaked & I build a connection with it over the years:wub: 

The rest of the album I still enjoy alot as well:flutter:

Though I have to say I replaced Nectar, LL,CB with a higher quality version of them & Beautiful often with the string version (love the twinkle piano in it though but I really love the string outro)

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

2 hours ago, Deadly Nightshade said:

Still traumatized by the choice of the PicsArt covers though :eartha:

yes, truly HORRENDUS. :eartha2: also the fact that they're almost the only songs with the single covers left on her Spotify page (atleast in Sweden). Like..... Terrence, HBTB, LFL, Love, SOC, COCC etc... all AMAZING single covers! But nah they're gone while the UGLY WORST ONES are still there. :toofunny: I really wonder who made that decision to keep them and WHY lol

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

The original covers were so cute and scrapbooky I would have loved one on cassette. I feel like they actually better communicate what the record is than the professional shots by Neil (adore them though). 

Once I realised BB is like a scrapbook and has rough edges and new and old pictures glued in, curly handwriting, confessions, pages about friends and family and bits of ornamental tape and ribbon, it made it so important to me as a fan of Lana's ongoing artistic development. Whether or not Lana intended it to be appreciated this way (we'll never know), this is how I appreciate BB and it has a totally unique place in her discography for me. And people throw this word around a lot but I think it is really camp, but also so serious and somber. Only Lana could do that 🎀

5 hours ago, lanasbottom said:

no ?

Yawn. It's find to dislike it but this is just laughable, especially if you are defending CoCC in the same post

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

7 hours ago, Veinsineon said:

Text Book, Wildflower Wildfire, Beautiful, and Violets For Roses are some of Lana’s most forgettable and bland songs ever. Text book is cute at best and the rest are just….. :oopna2:

i really adore text book but agree about the other three, i actually think Violets for Roses might possibly be Lana’s worst released song :air: and i feel really seen with the Wildflower Wildfire dragging… the production on that song is not good, it’s cute how excited Mike Dean was to work with her but he did not do a good job. i see what he was going for with the 8bit distorted drums but it did not work for the song at all

Blue Banisters would’ve been a really cute EP and seemingly a bridge to this new era because just based on Ocean Blvd, it’s taking everything that was wrong with Blue Banisters and refining it. i would’ve loved something like

1. Text Book

2. Blue Banisters

3. Arcadia

4. Black Bathing Suit

5. If You Lie Down with Me

6. Sweet Carolina

or something