Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

I feel like Lana stans only hype up her unreleased songs because they are unreleased. If she had actually released them, people would ignore most of them(there are a few exceptions). For example, I remember people always talking about Cherry Blossom and Living Legend before, but they are now two of the least streamed songs on the album. 

5 hours ago, Nectar said:

I feel like Lana stans only hype up her unreleased songs because they are unreleased. If she had actually released them, people would ignore most of them(there are a few exceptions). For example, I remember people always talking about Cherry Blossom and Living Legend before, but they are now two of the least streamed songs on the album. 

Agreed - sort of. CB & LL are both amazing songs, and I think the songs would’ve made a bigger impact if they were released back when they were made - or simply if they weren’t leaked. 

The reason they have so little streams is because most people were already familiar with them, and had been for years. They’d already listened to them more times than they could count so there wasn’t really much hype and replay value once the album dropped 

5 hours ago, Nectar said:

i feel like i have lower expectations for her leaked songs, because of the fact that they're leaked, scrapped, older works, so naturally i don't expect them to sound as grandoise & polished as officially released works, so when i listen to a song she recorded in 2009, or a leaked demo, i don't mind the fact that they're a little rough, short, or in general, objectively worse than her officially released songs from her albums, however, some of my all-time favorite lana songs are her leaked tracks, the early trash magic demo, mermaid motel demo, & pin up galore don't have exceptional mixing/mastering, the vocals may be a little bit off, as well as the instruments, but i love them so much & i don't mind the fact that they don't sound perfect

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

Not an unpopular opinion but I’m just gonna quickly hype up her early unreleased work lol - I think their lyricism and imagery and subject matter were so fucking brilliant and I think they are so special to me heavily in part bc of the context in which they were made: Lana pre-fame, pure of heart I stg, gunning so hard for her dreams, and it’s so incredibly inspiring bc I feel like I’m in that stage of my life rn where I’m on the cusp of who I could n wanna be 

mUENGN9.png

On 12/29/2021 at 11:51 PM, Alison by Slowdive said:

Not an unpopular opinion but I’m just gonna quickly hype up her early unreleased work lol - I think their lyricism and imagery and subject matter were so fucking brilliant and I think they are so special to me heavily in part bc of the context in which they were made: Lana pre-fame, pure of heart I stg, gunning so hard for her dreams, and it’s so incredibly inspiring bc I feel like I’m in that stage of my life rn where I’m on the cusp of who I could n wanna be 

You totally hit the nail on the head — this is exactly how I’ve felt listening to specifically her unreleased songs from 2010 and early 2011, right before Video Games blew up. She was really stepping into who she’d become, and I love looking back on periods where success is imminent and you’re totally on the brink of it. <3

i think the track writing on NFR is so weird but at the same time i like it. there are songs with everything capital letters first (Mariners Apartment Complex, The Next Best American Record), songs where just one word doesn't start with a capital letter (Norman fucking Rockwell), then songs that start with capitals but then every other word doesn't (The greatest, Love song). then there's Fuck it I love you which is another whole thing and then one that's all lower case (hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it). what are your musings on that?

11 hours ago, Honeyyoung said:

i think the track writing on NFR is so weird but at the same time i like it. there are songs with everything capital letters first (Mariners Apartment Complex, The Next Best American Record), songs where just one word doesn't start with a capital letter (Norman fucking Rockwell), then songs that start with capitals but then every other word doesn't (The greatest, Love song). then there's Fuck it I love you which is another whole thing and then one that's all lower case (hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it). what are your musings on that?

Not that I expect anyone to have memorized the NFR post-release thread, but I was actually able to find (using -- NFR capitalization -- as search cues with the site's search) a post of mine that addressed this. The general idea was that all the capitalization choices could make sense, if one were inclined to think of a reason for them. 

http://lanaboards.com/topic/10955-norman-fucking-rockwell-post-release-discussion-thread-poll/?do=findComment&comment=906400

- LFL gets too much hate

- most of her music after LFL feels generic and I do blame jack antonoff

- COTCC is giving me soccer mom vibes 

- her statement about that “she’s always dated rappers” still makes me uncomfortable even though I know shes not racist but everything she said about re:racism and re:feminism seems sort of clumsy and not well put into words .. the criticism she got was truly harsh and unfair but her response was .. not clever. 

- I’m happy she seems happier and I’m in no place to critique her body, I know she might have had trouble with EDs but do I think being thin looked very good on her 

- consulting a stylist would actually do her a favor. The green dress she wore recently in public was a MESS 

- idk if her current face is the result of fillers or weight gain or aging or all of it but it feels ..off? If you compare pics from 2013/14 to 2016/17 it seems pretty drastic

-i genuinely hope that she’s not in public and releasing music has to do with her previous record contract. Back when she had her debut it was quite common to sign major deals with certain album amounts etc which doesn’t happen like that anymore. 

Despite all these opinions I love her so much, her music, her art and her aesthetics she created. I truly hope she can live the life she wants to but I also hope she’ll come back to making art for the public to see.

I’ve always unironically liked Coachella and never really understood the hate towards it. It’s also I think the closest we’ve gotten to all of those unreleased pop-ish songs Lana made in the early 2010s. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

2 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I’ve always unironically liked Coachella and never really understood the hate towards it. It’s also I think the closest we’ve gotten to all of those unreleased pop songs Lana made in the early 2010s. 

I honestly love love LOVE the lyrics to Coachella - I never really got the criticism about them being super pretentious and corny! I think they're earnest and pure! - but I do think the production lets it down :( I guess my unpopular opinion is that I don't mind her taking an electronic approach to the track (I think most people expected the song to be acoustic and Yosemite-esque) but the instrumental she chose is just so dreary and miserable sounding, even at the chorus and the lovely outro it just doesn't do enough for me :heidi: I actually feel like Groupie Love's instrumental, or something to that effect, would work much better - still electronic (and not going down the cliche acoustic folky route), but light, dreamy, a little ethereal!

Wq9zHLl.jpg

I know people are tired of piano at this point but I honestly wish Arcadia was a piano ballad (or at least somewhat minimal like the first chorus) and that she added the baroque production to Beautiful or Violets. I really loved how the preview felt when she first released it. The production has grown on me since its release but the piano already sounds so lush and gorgeous as it is.

sgopYhV.gif

Most of Lana's unreleased songs from 2010 are terrible to me :bebe: but I like Resistance, My best days, afraid, and Television Heaven

signature.gif

"One gun on the table. Headshot if you're able..."

Lana has a feminine urge to chose prettier pictures as gatefold/booklet/exclusive while choosing the more basic ones for THE cover art. She did UV, BTD, NFR and COCC dirty for the cover photos although they're still iconic. Maybe she was going more for the simplicity and being recognizable than for the aesthetics. I still can't get over how she didn't use this  or this as the official cover. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

Maybe not an unpopular opinion but---- Its cool Lanas branching out and being more ambitious with her vocal performances lately (citing songs like Arcadia, Beautiful, Dealer) but a large part of what makes her music so appealing and unique is her old-school classic low-register / jazzy head voice and I want it back on LDR9. Bc a lot of singers do something like Arcadia, but not everyone can perform a song like Off to the Races or even DBJAG. Like I know she CAN but I don't really want to hear her belt anymore, it just doesn't suit the kind of music I expect from LDR. It's really the only part of post-NFR Lana that I have beef with bc I love her more diaristic writing direction but can't stand her opera voice on Arcadia + Beautiful, it's just so painfully basic.

small-sq-lana-del-rey-ultraviolence.gife4d193ad6825522455102e1518efe3d6835b52da

2 minutes ago, drugmunny said:

Maybe not an unpopular opinion but---- Its cool Lanas branching out and being more ambitious with her vocal performances lately (citing songs like Arcadia, Beautiful, Dealer) but a large part of what makes her music so appealing and unique is her old-school classic low-register / jazzy head voice and I want it back on LDR9. Bc a lot of singers do something like Arcadia, but not everyone can perform a song like Off to the Races or even DBJAG. Like I know she CAN but I don't really want to hear her belt anymore, it just doesn't suit the kind of music I expect from LDR. It's really the only part of post-NFR Lana that I have beef with bc I love her more diaristic writing direction but can't stand her opera voice on Arcadia + Beautiful, it's just so painfully basic.

:true: exactly!! she’s changed her voice a little bit here and there like on TJF and Dealer and on her last livestream she imitated the way she used to MDM live so I know she can still do it, I wonder why she doesn’t? using less range/lung capacity is probably more sustainable and less pressure on her performing in front of such huge audiences but still, I wouldn’t mind if she continues to experiment with her voice on her records - it doesn’t mean she has to do those songs live especially since her tracklist hasn’t changed for years and she just lets the recorded vocals do the work for her :toofunny:  she has so much talent in being able to give such expressive deliveries, whether it’s a fake accent/regional pronunciation, slurring/enunciating/stressing, different registers etc. that’s the mark of a good storyteller, and she excels at it. it’s a little sad that we didn’t get a whole lot of variety from the last few albums or tours

UbsOye5.png