Elle

Lasso - Pre-Release Thread: OUT September 2024

Not me asking ChatGPT wtf she means 

Spoiler

In this interview, Lana is referring to her upcoming project "Lasso" and its potential shift towards country music. She recounts an incident where she made a comment about the music industry's increasing embrace of country music while presenting an award to producer Jack Antonoff. Her remark, "welcome Nashville to Hollywood and Hollywood welcome Nashville," suggested a merging of the country music scene with the broader music industry. This comment was initially met with silence from the audience, which she found surprising. However, shortly after, three major artists announced their own country albums, reinforcing her point. 

Lana's response suggests that while there was an initial idea or trend of her album "Lasso" incorporating country music elements, she is now uncertain about its final direction. Her comment reflects the dynamic and unpredictable nature of musical trends and how they can influence or change the course of an album's development. Essentially, she hints that although "Lasso" might have been leaning towards country at some point, the exact genre or style of the album is still in flux and not firmly decided.

spinn.gifspinn.gifspinn.gif

16 minutes ago, Trash Magic said:

That was a really fun interview. I loved the anecdote about the green contact penses. Not someone finally asking about the album only to leave us in more uncertainty than before :brigitte:

That quote made me think Ben is off :lmao:

I used to get green contact lenses – like, greener than my eyes – for my interviews to get signed. Ben [Mawson, manager] once saw me, and I had these massive extensions as well, and he physically took the little green lizard contacts.

“He stomped them and he was like, ‘You look like a lizard!’ 

very controlling behaviour- no wonder his IG comments read like they do.

3 hours ago, honeyslow said:

part about lasso at 2:07 

Interviewer: What can you tell us about Lasso coming out later this year, you're going country right?

Lana: Oh jeez, well what can I say now. What can I say now. I mean when I gave Jack Antonoff his award for best producer of the year and I said welcome Nashville to Hollywood and Hollywood welcome Nashville because the music business is gone going country and it went silent. Five thousand people dead silent and then the next week we had three major artists announce big country albums so where is Lasso going I really have no idea now. You know what I mean?

Interviewer: Lyrically (?) while it's been inspiring is it part of that fun and ease you were talking about on stage?

Lana: Yeah I would say so, maybe less to say in terms of any kind of self-revealing things like on Tunnel or Blue Banisters or Chemtrails, more melodic, maybe more like American songbook style.

this was not a statement like "I'm going definitely country and the album is out in September" :um2:

it was more like

3 minutes ago, PARADIXO said:

Please why would she scrap it :rip: Bc Post Malone is going country? Lol

Posty is going country as well? :deadbanana:

url%5D

I hope she just goes full country and get this idea that she needs to do country out of her system. Like it has been a lingering theme for SO LONG. Like I WANT IT but omg… 

2 hours ago, Lustformoney said:

I think it’s obvious from this interview that lasso has been cancelled and the country is gone:brigitte: and the best case scenario we get another album in 2025. Hopefully working with quavo redirects her to trap again

not surprised ngl. her vibe recently does not give country music

4 minutes ago, 2022 said:

So, that means no lasso?

I think what she meant by what she said to the interviewer is that she doesn’t want to look like she’s copying Beyoncé and whoever else released a country album, so probably not 

I have no idea what this all means exactly but to be fair she's so chaotic she could do an interview like that then release a single for the album the next day like you never really do know with her

i’m not mad. beyonce is running the country genre rn so i think it’d be cool for lana to dive into something more different:oprah3:

country or not i just hope it’s COHESIVE and not a big pile of shit like blue banisters:air2:

signature.gif

"One gun on the table. Headshot if you're able..."

but for rn i feel like she should drop some fun stand alone tracks (even like a 3 track EP) to keep us fed/until she figures where LASSO is going…

signature.gif

"One gun on the table. Headshot if you're able..."

We're getting a little over ourselves here... Lana did hint at this album being more simpler in terms of lyricism back in that Hollywood Reporter interview last year I believe - i guess we could speculate parts of the album were decided by then. I think the album is still being fiddled around with just like with NFR! when it was originally supposed to have 11 tracks, like maybe Tough is an addition to the album and we'll need to wait for further confirmation. Also I don't think Lana cares that much if she's being seen as someone copying them and at the end of the day she's gonna deliver a much different take on the genre. All and all to me this is just confirmation that she's still changing things with the album which isn't always bad news :wub:

1 hour ago, jimmyjimmycocoapuff said:

i'm 100% here for melodic, structured songs. i'm kind of sick of the stream of consciousness writing we've been seeing from her and other artists lately.

also my dad just texted me the NME article- i think he's more excited for this album then i am :omfg2:

Full agree with the top line.