Elle

Lasso - Pre-Release Thread: OUT September 2024

7 hours ago, LanaBalkana said:

So the quavo collab got me thinking - has someone done trap country before? If she invents another genre she would be so iconic

TYRANT by Beyoncé.

IMG-1607.jpg

2 hours ago, barttttender said:

I always liked LFL. It has a large number of solid cuts - perhaps more good songs than any album preceding it, given its length and ambition.

A record that featured Lust for Life, Love, Summer Bummer, Groupie Love, God Bless America, When the World Was at War, White Mustang, Cherry, and Tomorrow Never Came - all on one record? I mean, wow. It was her most commercial effort since BTD, in addition to being a bit edgy and experimental.

The issues I had with it is that it still featured terrible songs like Coachella (awful) and Change (boring af). 

But it still packed more good songs than BTD, UV and maybe even Honeymoon. 

NFR was the first album for me that was a near 10/10 (woulda been a 10 without TNBAR). 

Yes, that’s what it is, there are soooo many good tracks but I think it’s overshadowed by the songs I don’t enjoy- but again the songs I really liked on the album don’t always marry up with other peoples, I really don’t like the title track and enjoy coachella and change.. summer bummer and groupie love were ones I learned to appreciate later

another thing that clouds my judgement for LFL is that I didn’t hear it in real time, after honeymoon I stopped following music in general (just too busy in my life I dunno lol) and so it was NFR that came out and reignited my love for music.. then I was so excited to find there was a whole record of missed.. and well, after NFR, LFL was very all over the place and I didn’t revisit it for a while again!

im a lot more open minded to a LFL type record now than I was then, but I just hope its cohesive 

like a dream, you glide on the water 

IMG-7034.gif

and like a star, I shine from the shore 

I hate that Lasso will likely be compared to Cowboy Carter, she should have released earlier tbh because I bet Lana was working on it first anyway. But I guess it may be more different than I think and can’t base the whole record on 15 seconds of Tough, most songs will still be piano country  :ohno:

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

If we’re discussing CC, I actually really enjoyed it, despite Beyoncé not being my usual go to, however, after binging it for a lil while I’ve put it down and not revisited it. I enjoyed that sexy kinda sound though and hope Lana brings that with this record, which I’m sure she will 

but the problem is with “commercial” hits for me, is that I enjoy them for a short while and get bored, I need something with longevity! 

IMG-7034.gif

23 minutes ago, Orville Peck said:

I dreamt that Lana released a song that the title was just numbers, kind of like a date. The first number was 24 btw.

there's only 24... houurrssss

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

i think that lust for life is cohesive but i don't bother explaining it because it would be a long ass essay. i don't really care if the album is cohesive or not, idk why people care about cohesion that much, like focus on the story of the songs, not album - that was kinda the point of ocean blvd as well.

25 minutes ago, Orville Peck said:

I dreamt that Lana released a song that the title was just numbers, kind of like a date. The first number was 24 btw.

omg she gonna re-record 24 (lana's version)

url%5D

46 minutes ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

Yes, that’s what it is, there are soooo many good tracks but I think it’s overshadowed by the songs I don’t enjoy- but again the songs I really liked on the album don’t always marry up with other peoples, I really don’t like the title track and enjoy coachella and change.. summer bummer and groupie love were ones I learned to appreciate later

another thing that clouds my judgement for LFL is that I didn’t hear it in real time, after honeymoon I stopped following music in general (just too busy in my life I dunno lol) and so it was NFR that came out and reignited my love for music.. then I was so excited to find there was a whole record of missed.. and well, after NFR, LFL was very all over the place and I didn’t revisit it for a while again!

im a lot more open minded to a LFL type record now than I was then, but I just hope its cohesive 

I always loved LFL although it wasnt as coherent as HM or NFR (still to this day, HM is probably her most cohesive album and to have LFL being released after really made the comparison between the two jarring), but I didn’t mind because it was a somewhat tumultuous summer of my life and the album being « all over the place » reflected pretty much who I was at that moment. 

i relistened to it a couple of weeks ago and what struck me then wasnt the different genres that were there but mostly the differences in production. Love, the title track, 13B, Heroin, Groupie Love, Get Free, BPBP, TNC, World at War all have this lush layered production and then there are the last additions to the album where the production seems a bit more naked or imperfect (In My Feelings, Change, Coachella, White Mustang).

anyways, I hope that Tough isn’t the only bopish song on Lasso, especially if it’s the lead (I hate when artists serve the best track as lead or when it doesn’t represent the sound of the album)

3 minutes ago, Embach said:

i don't really care if the album is cohesive or not, idk why people care about cohesion that much, like focus on the story of the songs, not album - that was kinda the point of ocean blvd as well.

I think it’s all about the listening experience (which differs for everyone) and to me a cohesive album shows completeness, it’s an art in itself as it shows the album was well thought out 

it doesn’t in any way mean that the songs all have to be the same genre/soundscape or even the lyrically content be similar as long as it flows well, I mean CC showed that and OB to me was very cohesive as it was a journey and it was well segmented. This is where interludes can really step in and help with cohesion and the story of the record, I’m all for interludes!

What I don’t want is an album akin to putting her music on shuffle and going from trap beats to steel drum guitars to a piano ballad to hip hop without any sense of flow or direction

IMG-7034.gif

I respectfully think we overstate/exacerbate LFL’s supposed lack of cohesion. It’s a two halves record in which the first relies heavily on trap/hip hop and the second half leans onto folk/americana - the thing is both halves possess sonic elements of one another. There’s a folk sensibility in the first half of the record and some very subtle infusions of trap/hip-hop in the songs of the second half (the beats in Heroin and WTWWAWWJKD are trap). It’s really not that disjointed and the storytelling makes a good progression that ties everything together. A record like Blue Banisters is way more all over the place and abrasive.

Also, how much can we fault artists for our decision to play albums on shuffle? lol

IMG-1607.jpg

17 hours ago, Embach said:

i think that lust for life is cohesive but i don't bother explaining it because it would be a long ass essay. i don't really care if the album is cohesive or not, idk why people care about cohesion that much, like focus on the story of the songs, not album - that was kinda the point of ocean blvd as well.

omg she gonna re-record 24 (lana's version)

i mean, OB wasn't very cohesive but still works as an album.

i'm not bothered about that. Honestly, I just need that quavo bop to be good and join my list of lana bops, and i'm  good.

i'll take prettiest girl in country music too, and the album for me is already great. 

please god let that quavo cut eat and be on lasso 🤞🏻🤞🏻

2 hours ago, shapeofmybody said:

YALL EVERYBODY

MOVE…Ethel Cain Reposted Lana’s insta Post

(we are Getting This Collab :makeup:)

(I am delusional)

who's ethel cain? What does this mean?

5 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

I respectfully think we overstate/exacerbate LFL’s supposed lack of cohesion. It’s a two halves record in which the first relies heavily on trap/hip hop and the second half leans onto folk/americana - the thing is both halves possess sonic elements of one another. There’s a folk sensibility in the first half of the record and some very subtle infusions of trap/hip-hop in the songs of the second half (the beats in Heroin and WTWWAWWJKD are trap). It’s really not that disjointed and the storytelling makes a good progression that ties everything together. A record like Blue Banisters is way more all over the place and abrasive.

Also, how much can we fault artists for our decision to play albums on shuffle? lol

Blue Banisters has one of her most cohesive sonical landscapes with only Dealer & the Trio sticking out. People here are so focussed on talking bad about that record ...

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

10 minutes ago, Thunder Revenant said:

Blue Banisters has one of her most cohesive sonical landscapes with only Dealer & the Trio sticking out. People here are so focussed on talking bad about that record ...

NOTG and LL feel equally out of place. SORRY, I love those songs tho

AMF Top 250 Songs of 2022 - RESULTS! - Acclaimed Music Forums

22 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

My comment about songs on shuffle was me saying I don’t want an album to sound like her songs on shuffle.

i don’t ever shuffle an album and I never play her songs on shuffle either, when I want to listen to a variation of her songs I have a playlist which I’ve curated so that the songs still flow well  :toofunny:

I do know people enjoy to shuffle an album tho, I don’t think that argument can be relevant to this, like you said 

IMG-7034.gif

1 hour ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

I think it’s all about the listening experience (which differs for everyone) and to me a cohesive album shows completeness, it’s an art in itself as it shows the album was well thought out 

it doesn’t in any way mean that the songs all have to be the same genre/soundscape or even the lyrically content be similar as long as it flows well, I mean CC showed that and OB to me was very cohesive as it was a journey and it was well segmented. This is where interludes can really step in and help with cohesion and the story of the record, I’m all for interludes!

What I don’t want is an album akin to putting her music on shuffle and going from trap beats to steel drum guitars to a piano ballad to hip hop without any sense of flow or direction

I agree that listening experience is important for many people and these reasons you put out are probably the main reasons people want from an album but my unpopular opinion is that I'd rather take the experimental genre fusion and little bit chaotic route in an album with good songs. It's just my opinion but yours is valid btw!

url%5D

23 minutes ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

My comment about songs on shuffle was me saying I don’t want an album to sound like her songs on shuffle.

i don’t ever shuffle an album and I never play her songs on shuffle either, when I want to listen to a variation of her songs I have a playlist which I’ve curated so that the songs still flow well  :toofunny:

I do know people enjoy to shuffle an album tho, I don’t think that argument can be relevant to this, like you said 

Oh I see! I personally think the album flows really well together but maybe it’s because I’m used to listen to it haha

42 minutes ago, Thunder Revenant said:

I love Blue Banisters. I just don’t think it’s very cohesive at all.

IMG-1607.jpg

3 hours ago, Thunder Revenant said:

what?? :bebe: I’m sorry but you really think Blue Banisters, Arcadia, Beautiful, Text Book, BBS, IYLDWM, VfR, WFWF, and NOTG all being on the same album is one her most cohesive? Every single song on that album stands out from one another, and the album is only cohesive in the fact that not a single song fits together :thumb2:

and that’s not even a dig at you or BB, her albums have been a mixed bag since LFL, but personally, I do find BB (and even Ocean Blvd) to be more a mixed bag than LFL. Lana herself said her approach is to just take her favorite songs and put them on the album, which we can easily tell. COTCC I think is one of her most cohesive but even that album is a bit of a mixed bag because how is White Dress, Breaking Up Slowly, and Yosemite all on the same album.

I was really hoping Lasso was going to be her most ‘cohesive’ but if the Quavo song is going to be included in the same album as Henry, then I think that hope is out the door :thumb2:

but, that said, I could care less about cohesion. LFL and Tunnel both have very different sounds throughout the album and they’re both in my top 3, so it’s not make or break for me, but I would have been nice to get another Honeymoon/concept album. 

"Don’t forget me"

weird how ethel cain added one of lana’s posts to her story… but she doesn’t even follow lana? idk if that’s just me who thinks that’s really weird lol

glitterfy3004543T778B81.gif